Post Moderation Questions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
CGI1984

Post Moderation Questions

Post by CGI1984 »

We recently setup a guest forum on our site where non-members can start topics and post something if they want to, however all guest posts need to be moderated first. I have two quick questions:

1 - Does it show anywhere the IP address of the person who makes a guest post?

2 - There is an option in the moderator area for a moderator to “delete post” which is what we would do with any spam messages. I ran a test though to try and delete a post and when I click on the submit button to delete the post nothing happens and it just returns back to the options of disapprove and approve the post. Am I perhaps doing something wrong that is preventing the delete post function from operating?

Thank you.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Post Moderation Questions

Post by KevC »

1 - click the i icon at the top right of the post

2 - Just disapprove it. I suspect there's a logic conflict of deleting something that isn't really a post yet because it hasn't been approved but if you think it's a bug, put it in the tracker.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

1 - Thanks. The i icon only appears I think after a post has been approved. There isn't that option during moderation.

2 - Yes, you can disapprove it, but then you have to provide a reason for disapproval and not sure what happens after that since the user isn't a registered member. I guess the disapproval reason just goes nowhere and so you can just choose the default disapproval reason to make things faster since it doesn't matter anyway what reason you give (since nobody will ever see it)?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

1 - The i icon does show on unapproved guest posts. I just checked on my test board.

2 - Yep the guest will never see it. The reason goes in to the moderator logs. Doesn't really matter what it is unless you're tracking them and if you are then you can make a reason and select that.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

1 - Interesting. Thanks. We don't see it on our site. Is it perhaps a setting we might have disabled somewhere in ACP by mistake?
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Make sure you have the "Can view post details" permission.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

tbackoff wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:17 am
Make sure you have the "Can view post details" permission.
Thanks, but I don't see "Can view post details" as an option under Administrator group permissions.

Also, I am able to see info and IP informtiton for posts after they have been approved. I only can't see the information tab when a post is in the moderation queue.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Try moderator permissions.

Admin permissions have nothing to do with site moderation like checking info, moving, locking deleting etc.
Cheap UK Hosting
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

I went to ACP > Users And Groups > Group Permissions > Global Moderators and unfortunately I did not see anything different.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

That's exactly where it is.
Advanced permissions > post actions tab
Cheap UK Hosting
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

are you in the global moderators group? did you check your permissions as an admin to see if you have that permission from any groups you are a member of?

remember, being an admin has nothing to do with moderator functions.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

KevC wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:10 pm
That's exactly where it is.
Advanced permissions > post actions tab
In ACP > Users And Groups > Group Permissions > Global Moderators and under the Post tab I have the following which are all enabled:
Can attach files
Can disable word censors
Can download files
Can use emoji and rich text characters in topic title
Can save drafts
Can use signature
Then when I am in that same window there is a drop down menu above where I can set Global Moderator permissions. If I click the "Go" button there then the options below change and I see :the following under the Post tab and all are enabled there as well:
Can approve and restore posts
Can change post author
Can change post time/date
Can permanently delete posts
Can edit posts
Can view post details
Can close and delete reports
Can soft delete posts
Moderators, who have the approve posts permission, can restore soft deleted posts.
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:15 pm
are you in the global moderators group? did you check your permissions as an admin to see if you have that permission from any groups you are a member of?

remember, being an admin has nothing to do with moderator functions.

robert
Yes, I am setting permissions in the Global Moderators group as I mentioned. I don't see any other way to set permissions there for admins. Or maybe I am missing something here. Can you provide the steps to get to where you are referring to?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Sorry my bad.

permissions
global moderators (not group permissions first)

Then you'll see

Can approve and restore posts
Can change post author
Can permanently delete posts
Can edit posts
Can view post details
Can close and delete reports
Can soft delete posts
Moderators, who have the approve posts permission, can restore soft deleted posts.
Cheap UK Hosting
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

KevC wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 am
1 - The i icon does show on unapproved guest posts. I just checked on my test board.
What I realized is that if I try to moderate a guest post from the notifications area I don't have very many options, none in fact except approve or disapprove. But if I go into the forum itself and I pull up the pending post then I see the Information button. I also have a delete button there where I can simply just delete the post.

When you tested it on your test board how did you access the pending post? Did you go to the post directly in the forum where it was posted or did you go to it via the notification area? It seems to provide two different sets of moderator options depending on how you access the post, which doesn't really seem to be an issue with permissions and isn't ideal.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”