Two Quick Questions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
CGI1984

Two Quick Questions

Post by CGI1984 »

1 - Any text that appears in a post within Bcc code does not get indexed into the search results for a site? For example, the words within the following text would not get indexed it seems?

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]The big brown fox jumped over the river[/color][/b]
I am asking because I noticed that when I do searches for text that is within Bcc code within posts on our site that the text does not get found in the search results. I guess the search indexing ignores text within Bcc code? Is there any way to force the search indexing to include text posted within Bcc code?

--

2 - We have a few IP addresses set in our .htaccess to get redirected to another site via a 403 redirect. Is there anywhere I might be able to see a log of how many of those IP addresses are getting redirected over a period of time? Or would it be possible to create a log somehow to log the IP addresses and monitor the number of redirects?

Thanks...

david63

Re: Two Quick Questions

Post by david63 »

CGI1984 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:35 am
We have a few IP addresses set in our .htaccess to get redirected to another site via a 403 redirect. Is there anywhere I might be able to see a log of how many of those IP addresses are getting redirected over a period of time? Or would it be possible to create a log somehow to log the IP addresses and monitor the number of redirects?
If you are redirecting in your .htaccess files then they will not be reaching phpBB therefore there is nothing that can be done from within phpBB. You may be able to get that information from your server access logs.

As for the indexing of text within BBCodes it is not something that I have ever noticed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

david63

Post by david63 »

CGI1984 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:35 am
1 - Any text that appears in a post within Bcc code does not get indexed into the search results for a site? For example, the words within the following text would not get indexed it seems?

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]The big brown fox jumped over the river[/color][/b]
Having looked a bit deeper into this it does not appear to be a problem with BBcodes in general but with the use of the [color] BBCode (others may also be affected).

If in the above example you remove the [color] BBCode and leave the [b] BBCode in the post then the search will find it.

This is possibly a bug so I have posted it in the Bug Tracker - https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-16464
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If you download your aceess logs. With Notepad open the find/replace panel. Click the mark tab, make sure "bookmark line" is checked. Without the quotes Type in " 403 " in the text box and click mark. Note the spaces, if I recall correctly the status code is separated by spaces in access logs. This will eliminate any 403 strings that are not status codes.

In the upper left in menu bar click search, down the bottom open menu for bookmarks, select "Remove unmarked lines".
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Thanks. I accessed the server logs. Unfortunately our host only keep access logs for one day, but I have asked them if there is any way we can increase that period to one month.

With the standard version I have of Notepad there is no find/replace panel. Only separate find and replace options. Anyway, I did a search for " 403 " within the log and didn't find anything. Not sure if this means there weren't any hits in the last 24 hours or if the log just doesn't register 403 errors. Later I may try redirecting my own IP in the .htaccess file and then check the log to see if it registered a 403.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

403 is a restriced access warning. not a file not there warning.
404 is the file is not there warning.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Indeed. So 403 won’t be in the logs?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

for some reason I thought you had posted about missing files but were saying a 403 error.
what you said was you had a redirect set for 403 errors.
why do you want to redirect an error that says the viewer does not have permission to access the file?
where would you redirect that visitor to ?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

CGI1984 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 am
With the standard version I have of Notepad there is no find/replace panel.
My apologies, I meant Notepad++.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/
Indeed. So 403 won’t be in the logs?
Any requests for files should be there however what is included is configurable. Status code typically comes after request, you might see something like 200 123456. The 200 is status code and the other numbers are bytes sent.

As side note I don't think you can redirect using 403 status code. Likely result is the browser ignores it, not even sure if the server would send it.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Thanks. I am still not sure what to look for to identify any 403 logs. And it is possible that 403 events don't get logged.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

CGI1984 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:05 pm
Thanks. I am still not sure what to look for to identify any 403 logs. And it is possible that 403 events don't get logged.
Assuming the log is using regular format searching for " 403 " without the quotes should return them all. Note the spaces. If you follow the directions I posted above using Notepad++ you'll have list of requests with nothing but 403's.

It's certainly possible they are not logged but they should be.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”