[SPLIT] Ideas status

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
TexTHKM

[SPLIT] Ideas status

Post by TexTHKM »

Speaking of the Ideas section on the website..

Is that still being used actively by the dev team before a new feature release? And maintained by the mod team?..

I see some excellent suggestions there that are like 7 years old, but with many up-votes. Some of which definitely should have made it into 3.2/3.3.. After that long, I feel like someone should either tag it is as "in progress" or just "invalid" if it is not happening. Feels strange browsing that section by "new", and seeing 7 year old suggestions.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I certainly can't speak for the staff but I believe that there was never a guarantee that any idea presented there would automatically be added to the code.

rob ert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

TexTHKM

Post by TexTHKM »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:02 am
I certainly can't speak for the staff but I believe that there was never a guarantee that any idea presented there would automatically be added to the code.

rob ert
Yeah of course. But you'd at least imagine that popular ideas, that are 5-7 years old with many up-votes, would get a response. Either as getting axed, under consideration, or hopefully yes. That's all.

david63

Post by david63 »

Also I would add that anyone can take an idea and either create it as an extension, if it is suitable, or create a PR for that change - it does not have to rely on it being taken on by the Development Team.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

TexTHKM

Post by TexTHKM »

david63 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:46 am
Also I would add that anyone can take an idea and either create it as an extension, if it is suitable, or create a PR for that change - it does not have to rely on it being taken on by the Development Team.
The ideas are ideas for what people think should be in phpBB core.. I think most know that you can either create an extension (often one already exists)..

Random American

Re: [SPLIT] Ideas status

Post by Random American »

TexTHKM wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:23 am
After that long, I feel like someone should either tag it is as "in progress" or just "invalid" if it is not happening. Feels strange browsing that section by "new", and seeing 7 year old suggestions.
I agree. If an idea is not going to be implemented because it is not popular enough, it would be too costly to implement, or any other reason, I think it should be tagged. I think a new tag called "rejected" should be put on such ideas.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

To add here is that some extensions, depending on what they do may require a certain event or what ever it's called in the phpBB core in order for them to work.

I wish I knew PHP and thus know how to create an extension because I have lots I'd like to see in phpBB. A lot have been rejected so if I knew how I could do it I'd do it for just me and just publish the code to Github. Maybe one day I'll sit down and learn PHP and then learn how to code an extension. But to me, and based on some code edits I've done, I've learned that it requires a certain logic and get one damn character wrong and the whole thing comes crashing down.

BTW - What type of debugger would you use for PHP and, is there some kind of virus/malware PHP code check website or something where the code can be analyzed?

TexTHKM

Post by TexTHKM »

Random American wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:38 pm
TexTHKM wrote:
After that long, I feel like someone should either tag it is as "in progress" or just "invalid" if it is not happening. Feels strange browsing that section by "new", and seeing 7 year old suggestions.
I agree. If an idea is not going to be implemented because it is not popular enough, it would be too costly to implement, or any other reason, I think it should be tagged. I think a new tag called "rejected" should be put on such ideas.
Yeah I wish the developer team were more involved there. (even if it's just very short responses). For example several good suggestions have devs vote thumb up on them. But then again they are years old. What does that even mean? :P

For example the excellent suggestion to replace ranks (been untouched for years and years) with badges, similar to other forum softwares like XF.
Last edited by TexTHKM on Sun May 10, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

TexTHKM wrote:
And maintained by the mod team?..
We haven't had a MOD Team in over 5 years...
TexTHKM wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:46 pm
For example the excellent suggestion to replace ranks (been untouched for years and years) with badges, similar to other forum softwares like XF.
You mean the one that's burried 6 pages deep into the Top Ideas list? A developer already commented on it back when it was suggested and would likely deal with it during the style revamp he's already working on for 4.0. I believe he's just keeping a list on his own of things he's going to be implementing, which is likely an overall more efficient approach.

There really shouldn't be any expectation that a developer will pick up an idea from that list nor that they will change the status of an idea, add information, or act upon any of them. If one of them picks up an idea and changes its status then great, otherwise anyone else in the community is welcome to do the work as long as it makes sense to do it and there is a ticket for the pr. This was always the purpose of the Ideas feature.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

TexTHKM

Post by TexTHKM »

Nice snarky attitude. Not like I am demanding anything here from the dev team.. Let me explain.
I thought it was allowed to come with suggestions, as to make it easier to see for the public what ideas may be included into the core in the future, and what isn't. If/when possible.
It would be very nice to see more into the future scope of the software, as to know what is planned for the platform. That's not a demand, I'm just stating that it would be nice/useful/cool/interesting/[insert other positive word]. Obviously they won't be able to share anything that isn't planned, but I'd imagine several of the ideas in that section, may happen in 4.0, and many never will. (in which case they'd know either way).

I know that phpBB is a free software, everyone is lucky to be able to use this for free. Devs are using their free time to work on this, and people should be grateful. Any new feature happens when it happens, and if you want it faster, you need to contribute. That is known, and I never disputed that.
But that doesn't mean that users of the software can't come with wishes/feedback and hoping it will be included some day.

Also, I feel like underlining that this was also about removing ideas that won't happen/unpopular/extremely old, to clean up the idea section a bit :) So just some house-keeping. For example, Ideas that are more suited to be an extension, or out of scope of the phpBB core profuct (eg "we want a CMS system/facebook-social profiles in core"), can be "rejected" as to clean up the "new" section. It shouldn't be there when it is obviously not happening, it's just unnecessary clutter.
(I would love to help with cleaning in the idea section, I have time and experience with mod duties.)
DavidIQ wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:29 pm
You mean the one that's burried 6 pages deep into the Top Ideas list? A developer already commented on it back when it was suggested and would likely deal with it during the style revamp he's already working on for 4.0. I believe he's just keeping a list on his own of things he's going to be implementing, which is likely an overall more efficient approach.
1) There are several other ideas that have been implemented/in progress (a few there with 3-4 upvotes for example), with barely any votes at all. So that isn't definitive.
2) You filter by score, so it takes into account down-votes as well (for example some ideas with quite a few up-votes, have almost as many down-votes, which would indicate that this may be a controversial idea to implement)...
There, it's page 3 on the "new" ideas, filtered by score. Out of 27 pages of "new" ideas, I would consider that near the top. (even when many others have been gathering votes for many years extra).
But anyway, that was just an example, not like that's my most important topic.

So to recap, I was simply suggesting something that would perhaps make it more clear for the public on ideas and plans for the next feature release of phpBB, if "in progress", "rejected", was used more often. And it would be very nice if some of the very old ones, maybe were clarified if possible?

That was all, have a good day.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”