Simple questions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Lihinghntom

Simple questions

Post by Lihinghntom »

Hi everyone, I'm not new in this forum, but as you can see in my profile I'm just 16 years old and I have some questions
1)The first is related to my age:
What features would not be available for me?
2)The second is related to creating new communities,
Let me explain that, this is not the first time I use phpbb see my profiles below:
https://forum.princed.org/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=2764 and other account I couldn't find the link
What is necessary to know before using phpbb, I tried to install it but I did wrong some steps, I want to make a gaming forum instead of searching and joining existing ones
3)And the last question is related to recaptcha
As I wrote before, I want to make my own forum, and I would like to make it just for humans…
I expect your answer, please don't be so hard with me, I joined time ago, but it is my first post…
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Simple questions

Post by KevC »

Emiliano Fierro wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 pm What features would not be available for me?
None
Once you download the software you can do whatever you like with it, it's yours.
Emiliano Fierro wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 pm What is necessary to know before using phpbb, I tried to install it but I did wrong some steps,
You don't need to know any coding. You just need a host (preferably paid - you can get them very cheaply). No other technical skills are needed. If you get stuck just post in the support forum and we will help you out.
I want to make a gaming forum instead of searching and joining existing ones
Good luck. It's a hugely competitive subject area with lots and lots of well established sites already out there.Probably one of the hardest sites to get off the ground to be honest.
Emiliano Fierro wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 pm 3)And the last question is related to recaptcha
As I wrote before, I want to make my own forum, and I would like to make it just for humans…
phpBB has built in Q&A antispam. Make a question that cannot be searched such as something to do with your logo, or that requires some logical human understanding to solve. Do not use 2+2= or what colour is the sky.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

so, that should answer all your questions. now, if you had problems installing let us know what the problems were etc. then we can help you get it installed.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Lihinghntom

Post by Lihinghntom »

I need to tell you at once, I'm unable to make my own forum right now, it might be ready over 2027 or later, however it is worth to know more things before starting.
Well, my point is that I would like to add more specific fields such as "country" as required instead of optional location, and also required age. And I want to add a message like "we need software engineers to admin the forum"
You may think I should wait until I make my forum, in that case I will be back in 2027
Thanks no matter 2020 or 2027, goodbye…
Attachments
Temp.png
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It seems that you have plenty of time so here’s a copy of the user manual which should answer most of your questions: 3.2 User Guide.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

What are you doing to your board for it to take until the year 2027 to be ready?..
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
david63

Post by david63 »

Elias wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:23 pm What are you doing to your board for it to take until the year 2027 to be ready?..
Waiting for phpBB 6 :lol:
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Lumpy Burgertushie

if you come back, think about this:
there is no reason you have to wait until 2027 to start a board.
why would you think that? is it about having money to do it?

just FYI, you can get hosting and a domain name for less than 50USD a year.
if you gather that much money and get started. you can probably earn a little money on your board either with ads or by asking for donations.

first, you have to figure out if whatever your subject matter is would be popular enough to get any members.

also, there are places online that you can click a couple of buttons and have a board up and running in seconds.
I don't suggest you try to grow that board since you will not have any control over the files, database, etc.
but for a practice you can have one instantly to play with.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Lihinghntom

Post by Lihinghntom »

Hi again
Forgive my curiosity; but what is the Newly Registered Users group for?
And why since I made my first post I'm no longer a member of that group?
Last question, Why some of the Newly registered users have been banned?
I already read the rules of this forum, but please don't ban me.
User names and dates of the example were changed to protect identy…
Attachments
202006101858.png
Last edited by Lihinghntom on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not visit the chan forums :|
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

We’re not going to ban you, unless you misbehave of course :lol:

The Newly Registered User (NRU) group is mainly for spam control. All new users (here) go in to the NRU AND the Registered User Group and are in the moderation queue, the NRU permissions take precedence over those in the Registered User Group. Once the user has made two posts (the threshold set here) he drops out of the NRU and becomes a fully registered user. You can set the post count threshold to whatever you want on your own board or not use it at all if you so wish.

On the subject of hosting a lot of hosts make special offers to new users. Some will charge you a minimal amount for the first year if you use them for domain registration as well. If you have a search round the internet you’ll see what I mean, I’ve just seen one that is charging 0.99c/month. We cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk.

Also, you can set up a board on your home computer to have a play with, it won’t be connected to the internet like a fully hosted board but you can experiment for free, see Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server

Edit: Up to date versions of XAMPP can be downloaded here: https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lihinghntom

Post by Lihinghntom »

What :o
I installed XAMPP and couldn't get information about “my host”, maybe because I don't have one yet :lol:
Do you mean that it does not do anything? :o
One more time, I'm underage so every use related to money has limits and restrictions, I wouldn't really have problem getting it, but my parents may not agree with me…
Lumpy Burgertushie

you will have to explain that a little bit better.

what do you mean by "my host"?
xampp does not require anything other than your computer to operate.
basically it creates your host on your computer.
once it is installed, then you simply install phpbb following the instructions just like you would if you had a real hosting account somewhere online.

reading the documentation about how to install phpbb would be a big help for you.

robert

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

There’s a new, up to date, KB being written as we speak on the subject of installing a test server, it may help you: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2557276
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lihinghntom

Post by Lihinghntom »

Hi again, I have two questions only you can answer
Why regular users cannot delete or rename their own accounts?
Is it about security or what exactly? :|
Lumpy Burgertushie

because it could screw up all the topics that user has posted in.

there is no need to delete your account. if you do not want to be here just don't visit the board.
if you wish to change a username you can request that from the staff and they might do it for you.

robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”