Database back-up much larger when downloaded via Chrome

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Marek Muc

Database back-up much larger when downloaded via Chrome

Post by Marek Muc »

Hi All. When I do a manual back-up of my database via ACP, the back-up file is much larger if this operation is done via Google Chrome and the back-up is downloaded directly via browser. I do a full back-up, gzip, all tables.

For my board, the back-up file weights 2.8 MB when downloaded via Chrome, and only 0.6 MB when downloaded via Firefox. When I choose the "store locally" option, database size is 0.6 MB for most browsers. ACP tells me that unzipped database size is 4.7 MiB

When I open these back-ups using text editor, they look completely different. The larger one downloaded via Chrome has some legible parts, e.g. I can find actual text of posts, whereas the 0.6 MB database, when opened via text editor, has 8 columns with 4 random letters and digits each.

Would someone be so kind and explain me what's going on here? To be honest, I never tested restoring my board from a back-up, and now I feel I have to :)
david63

Re: Database back-up much larger when downloaded via Chrome

Post by david63 »

What do you mean by "downloaded directly via browser"?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Bymemor

Post by Bymemor »

I believe this artice will help you:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

I mean that I downloaded the backup directly from ACP - I used the "download" option as opposed to "store file locally"
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Yeah, I had the same question.
There will be a size difference between a backup made using the ACP and a backup made using your host phpMyAdmin (or Adminer).
Also, if one of your backups is the result of a host backup feature, chances are that that is a backup of the whole site: files and database in a specific host format: almost useless to you (without the host restore feature).

For clarity's sake: a database backup produced in the ACP, is stored in /store and has a name similar to
backup_1563186123_b43fm7n9ubrw94tc.sql or
backup_1563186123_b43fm7n9ubrw94tc.sql.gz

The latter is compressed and much smaller than the uncompressed xxx.sql which is just a text file, but both contain te same information (and both can be used for restoring).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

But please note that I'm talking about back-ups made via ACP only (not phpMyAdmin nor cPanel etc). There are only two differences: the browser, and the action ("download" vs "store file locally")
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Marek Muc wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:32 pm
But please note that I'm talking about back-ups made via ACP only (not phpMyAdmin nor cPanel etc). There are only two differences: the browser, and the action ("download" vs "store file locally")
That was clear to me from the beginning because since phpBB 3.2.7 (or 8) backups cannot be downloaded from the ACP anymore, you will need FTP (or your host control panel).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

Ok I'm using 3.2.3 (waiting for 3.3.1 ;)

so I actually am talking about downloading directly from ACP :)

edit: BTW, why the option to download directly from ACP is no longer available in newer versions?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Marek Muc wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:41 pm
edit: BTW, why the option to download directly from ACP is no longer available in newer versions?
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=62726
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Marek Muc wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:09 pm
For my board, the back-up file weights 2.8 MB when downloaded via Chrome, and only 0.6 MB when downloaded via Firefox. When I choose the "store locally" option, database size is 0.6 MB for most browsers. ACP tells me that unzipped database size is 4.7 MiB
When you ask to compress the SQL backup file via GZip, downloading that backup file in another browser besides Chrome will actually download the compressed .sql.gz backup file as-is. i.e. The file you save from that download will still be GZip-compressed, and therefore smaller.

When you download that same GZip-compressed backup file using Chrome, you actually end up with the uncompressed version of that file. Not withstanding that the downloaded file name is still ".sql.gz". If you open the saved file in Notepad++ or similar, you can see that it's already the clear-text / uncompressed .SQL backup data, rather than requiring decompression first.

I forget who pointed out this Chrome-specific behavior to me. Prior to that, I thought there was a phpBB-specific bug of "the backup file is never compressed, even when requested." Because all of my backup downloads were performed using Chrome, and were never compressed despite being named .sql.gz.
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

Marek Muc wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:09 pm
Hi All. When I do a manual back-up of my database via ACP, the back-up file is much larger if this operation is done via Google Chrome and the back-up is downloaded directly via browser. I do a full back-up, gzip, all tables.

When I open these back-ups using text editor, they look completely different. The larger one downloaded via Chrome has some legible parts, e.g. I can find actual text of posts, whereas the 0.6 MB database, when opened via text editor, has 8 columns with 4 random letters and digits each.

Would someone be so kind and explain me what's going on here? To be honest, I never tested restoring my board from a back-up, and now I feel I have to :)
Seems to be an (old...) bug of Chrome. Chrome extracts gzip compressed files while download - the hell may know why.

https://superuser.com/questions/985870/ ... ownloading

Use firefox or another browser to download gzip-files. Better: download via FTP. Because: after you have done a phpBB update this function does not exist any longer as said in post before.
Webseite, Blog, Wiki Deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

thank you very much for your explanations!

It seems that I need to get accustomed to downloading backup via FTP. I personally don't like this change as this will add another step in the back-up process, but I can see that this matter has been already discussed

BR
Marek
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

Thank you, I will check this extension out

Return to “phpBB Discussion”