How is most active topic in profile defined?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

How is most active topic in profile defined?

Post by warmweer »

Just noticed in my profile

Most active topic:
database wont update,stuck on 3.1.0-RC6
(30 Posts / 0.65% of your posts)

30 posts is a lot for 1 topic, but I had the impression that I was/am more active the in the "Corona virus" topic (General discussion), so I started counting and had reached 30 posts at ± page 20.

It's logical that hidden forums would not be taken into account (although if another user has access to that hidden forum, then why shouldn't he see that info?) but General Discussion isn't a hidden forum.

Is there a setting somewhere I haven't found yet allowing to exclude specific forums for the "most active in topic" count?

Added: OK, I've found the 5000 posts criterium but that affect visibility of that statistic so it doesn't come into play here.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Re: How is most active topic in profile defined?

Post by rxu »

You can get an idea from the code here https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/ce2 ... .php#L1161
EA117

Post by EA117 »

warmweer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:41 am
Is there a setting somewhere I haven't found yet allowing to exclude specific forums for the "most active in topic" count?
Not directly "exclude this just from the most active statistic", but you can specify in the forum permissions that a user doesn't have "Increment post counter" permission. Which in turn also prevents such posts from being considered for statistics of the user's post count, since their post count didn't increase in response to any posts made where they didn't have this permission available.

Now, do users here on phpbb.com/community have "Increment post counter" permission in the General Discussion forum? That I don't know. But it fits the symptom, and you can probably test easily enough whether your post count is increasing due to posts in this forum.
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

EA117 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 pm
Now, do users here have "Increment post counter" permission in the General Discussion forum?
Nop
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

If I judge it correctly, the function implemented here or in other phpBB forums does not match the contribution counter, possibly due to spam and / or "deliberately | unwittingly" to increase it.

Also, if this seems strange:
I think that is fine. ;)

Edit: Spelling
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

EA117 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 pm
Now, do users here on phpbb.com/community have "Increment post counter" permission in the General Discussion forum? That I don't know. But it fits the symptom, and you can probably test easily enough whether your post count is increasing due to posts in this forum.
That is something I had thought of, but I discarded that idea immediately after seeing a first time poster with post count = 1 and that post is in General Discussion. Still, perhaps that option shouldn't be discarded as he may have had another post which was moved.

I'll just have to make a new post in General Discussion to see whether the postcount is incremented (if only to exclude that option)..
rxu wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 pm
You can get an idea from the code here https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/ce2 ... .php#L1161
thx, but still working on trying understand that code fully (during breaks from more important "tasks").
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

warmweer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:29 pm
That is something I had thought of, but I discarded that idea immediately after seeing a first time poster with post count = 1 and that post is in General Discussion. Still, perhaps that option shouldn't be discarded as he may have had another post which was moved.
That observation would convince me, too. i.e. That that "Increment post counter" permission is granted for that forum.

Since the "AND post_postcount = 1" condition seems unambiguous in display_user_activity(), and I don't see an exception being granted like "post_postcount is always set to 1 on a user's first post" over in functions_posting.php, either.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

That post was moved, and as such it was counted as valid post for the active topics.

Post count increment is disabled for all users in both general discussion as testing subforum
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Paul wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:19 pm
That post was moved, and as such it was counted as valid post for the active topics.

Post count increment is disabled for all users in both general discussion as testing subforum
Thanks,
After my previous post here I started a new post in General Discussion, submitted it before reading this and postcount didn't increase.
Phew, I'll be able to sleep soundly after all now that that's solved.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”