KB Article for XAMPP

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
EA117

Re: KB Article for XAMPP

Post by EA117 »

thecoalman wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:23 am
I don't see any network activity in the browser for the version check. Presumably its the script making the request server side?
Yes, they are queries made and responses received by the phpBB code running on the server, and not "from the browser." We of course agree with 3Di that he's "seeing activity in the browser" when checking extension versions, but that's just the UI portion of the processing. Not "the actual version check being performed", which is JSON data exchanges between the server-side phpBB code and whomever the remote version check server is (phpbb.com or otherwise).

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:15 am
does anyone know how to completely stop phpbb from trying to phone home when running in wamp or xampp or usbwebserver etc.

I have come to the conclusion that phpbb trying to phone home for different reasons is what make every one of the lamp stacks so slow on local host.
+1 for what 3Di said; that is not my experience either. There is nothing "by definition of trying to run a local instance of your phpBB site" which will make it inherently need to constantly contact either your own production site's web server, or even phpbb.com's servers.

That said, indeed you can be in a situation where that is in fact what's happening in your local installation. For example, if your .htaccess was copied into the local instance, and it has particular paths or file types which were being re-written with rules that cited your production DNS name, components of the pages which "could" or "should" have been served from the local X/WAMPP server could potentially be redirecting your web browser to pull those resources from the production site instead. Even if the main page documents themselves are coming from the local server.

Or you could potentially create that kind of situation in even stranger ways, like having copied a config.php which was still configured to still talk to the production database server's IP address or DNS name, despite having a local database server you could have been using. But again, nothing that "is actually required to be that way", nor "by definition a local phpBB installation is going to behave slowly" because they are always "required to phone home."

If the F12 Network view doesn't show you resources are being pulled from somewhere other than the local web server, the next step I would try is a straight-up LAN trace of all the traffic on and off my local computer when I'm interacting with the local site. To try and identify what is still possibly trying to access something (successfully or unsuccessfully) over the wire, if not HTTP requests from your web browser that would have been visible in the F12 Network view.
John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

I'm not the best editor and the language arts is not my forte, but I figured I'd help go through and bold mark what I think needs to be corrected. Please take a moment and look at what I highlight because it took me a very long time to do.

The security aspects about running XAMPP from a computer for a live website may want to be addressed. But that's just me.

This article explains how to set up a developmental web server on your local computer complete with PHP, MariaDB, and phpMyAdmin using XAMPP software. While XAMPP is available for multiple operating systems and some of the instructions listed here will be applicable to those operating systems NEEDS A COMMA HERE this article is intended specifically for Windows based systems. It was written based on XAMPP version 7.4.7 for Windows, newer or older versions of XAMPP may have slightly different instructions.
If you're going to be using existing phpBB database/files or have database credentials provided by your live web host you can simplify things by utilizing them here.
You may use any credentials here but if for example your live web host issues you different credentials NEEDS A COMMA HERE config.php will need to be edited before uploading it to A live web host.
If you did not create a database in THE previous step next we need to create one, click the Databases tab at the top of phpMyAdmin.
Assuming you have installed XAMPP in C:\xampp NEEDS A COMMA HERE using Windows file explorer open the folder C:\xampp\htdocs. This folder is the equivalent of THE html_docs or similarly named folder on a live web server. When you open http://localhost/ in your browser this is the root directory used to serve files.
If you are using AN existing phpBB database and files copied from a live web site it is best practice to follow existing directory structure. If the live forum is installed in example.com/forum/ NEEDS A COMMA HERE create a folder in htdocs named "forum" and then copy your existing phpBB files and folders to it.
For a fresh install of phpBB NEEDS A COMMA HERE download THE newest version of phpBB,
If instead you wanted to access it from http://localhost/forum/ NEEDS A COMMA HERE create a new folder in htdocs called forum and copy all the contents of phpBB3 to it.
with your browser or If you copied the files to A sub folder point the browser their there e.g.
Note that if you are following an install guide here on phpBB.com NEEDS A COMMA HERE the instructions for setting file and folder permissions do not have to be done.
However NEEDS A COMMA HERE if you upload these files to live server they permissions will need to be changed on live server.
While these limitations are important for A live server NEEDS A COMMA HERE they can be set very high on A local server.
This will open the php,ini SHOULD BE A PERIOD. PHP.INI file in your default text editor.
You can direct requests for your domain to XAMPP by editing THE Windows host file.
However NEEDS A COMMA HERE cache and DNS issues may be a problem.
To revert back to live domain once again open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and add a pound sign at THE start of the lines:
Save the file, once again you may need to clear YOUR browser cache and take other steps.
If you have PERHAPS THE WORD "ANY" SHOULD BE USED HERE questions concerning XAMPP related issues consult their documentation or you can try XAMPP's forum. If you are having trouble with using or installing phpBB you may use our Support Forum to help resolve those issues.
Having spam problems? Install this extension and/or this script.
How to help protect your site from hackers.
0FL ?FE<JKCP K?@EB PFL ;<:F;<;‌​​​​‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌​​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌​​​​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌​‌‌​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌​​‌​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌​‌⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​​‌​‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌​​‌​​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌​‌‌‌​ K?@J D<JJ8><t +?@EB 8>8@Ec
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

thecoalman wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:23 pm
What is install instructions for this?
None, but it's a hint that not only installers are available (which may scare people like me) but also plain ZIP files that don't need a whole "installation". And then there is also the vague term "portable", which nowaday (sadly) means it runs in its own binary container, which has its own advantages and disadvantages. Just mention it and also be aware yourself that "installer" is not the only option.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:59 am
I do?
Sorry, meant for phpbb.com
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

AmigoJack wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:18 am
None, but it's a hint that not only installers are available ....
My mistake, I was trying to run the exe while viewing the contents of the zip and didn't unzip it yet. I was getting prompt tp unzip. while viewing the contents
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:00 am
I'm not the best editor and the language arts is not my forte, but I figured I'd help go through and bold mark what I think needs to be corrected. Please take a moment and look at what I highlight because it took me a very long time to do.
Thanks John, I made most of the edits. However <COMMA> you are giving me nightmares about Mr Brogna's 7th grade English class. ;)
The security aspects about running XAMPP from a computer for a live website may want to be addressed. But that's just me
The title and description is "developmental server" and far out of the scope of this article.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

thecoalman wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 pm
Thanks John, I made most of the edits. However <COMMA> you are giving me nightmares about Mr Brogna's 7th grade English class. ;)
My cousin keeps telling me that I should be a teacher of some sorts, and a girlfriend I once went out with told me with all my interests and well roundness I should be a professor. But alas, I thinks im n0t so smert enoughh 4 that. :D :lol:
Having spam problems? Install this extension and/or this script.
How to help protect your site from hackers.
0FL ?FE<JKCP K?@EB PFL ;<:F;<;‌​​​​‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌​​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌​​​​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌​‌‌​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌​​‌​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌​‌⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​​‌​‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌​​‌​​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌​‌‌‌​ K?@J D<JJ8><t +?@EB 8>8@Ec
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I've removed two off topic comments that could only derail the topic. Back to topic please, thanks.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”