18th June 2020?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Harewood

18th June 2020?

Post by Harewood »

Hi,
Has anyone else experienced a web traffic hit for their phpBB forum on and thereafter 18th June? :?
2.png

Would it be anything to do with:https://www.seroundtable.com/video-06-1 ... 29647.html
.m.

Re: 18th June 2020?

Post by .m. »

you might be knowing that web traffic depends on many factors.

can't say if number of hits is directly based on Google search results.
david63

Post by david63 »

Harewood wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 am
Would it be anything to do with:https://www.seroundtable.com/video-06-1 ... 29647.html
Possibly, but I would be more inclined to think that it is a bot attack which all boards get from time to time.

Have you looked at your access logs to see who was trying to access your board?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Harewood

Post by Harewood »

david63 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:16 am
Have you looked at your access logs to see who was trying to access your board?
Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

Please let me know where I will find the access logs and I will take a look.

One thing thats interesting is that the Cloudflare logs dont show any dip in traffic whatsoever, and our ISP Tech Support say:
I have checked your server and can assure you that it is running smoothly.
Looks your web-site statistics system works in a not proper way. Please check its configuration.
So a little puzzled... :?
Many thanks
david63

Post by david63 »

Harewood wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:57 am
Please let me know where I will find the access logs and I will take a look.
They are somewhere on your server and you can usually access them via your control panel. If not then you will need to ask your hosts where they are/how to access them.

If it is a bot attack then you will probably see many accesses from the same, or range, of IP addresses
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
P_I

Post by P_I »

Harewood wrote:
Hi,
Has anyone else experienced a web traffic hit for their phpBB forum on and thereafter 18th June? :?
Happened back in November 2019 for me and others. See viewtopic.php?p=15360416#p15360416.

Check your 'Who is online' and the number of guests. If that seems higher than normal then display guests and pay particular attention to the agent-string.

There have been many different posts/topics about the impact of these bots and how to mitigate.

Personally, the solution from Blocking aggressive Chinese crawlers/scrapers/bots, particularly reading through the comments and implementing this version was worked wonders for my boards.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Possibly, but I would be more inclined to think that it is a bot attack which all boards get from time to time.
Happened back in November 2019 for me and others.
Yes, but wouldn't those types of "attacks" (also characterized as a bot which is just doing it's job, but without a reasonable rate limit) have shown as an increase in those metrics, not a drop-off like is being shown here.

For an "attack" to reduce the amount of hits, pages & bandwidth that are being consumed, it seems like it would have to be something attacking at a TCP level, and tries to overwhelm being able to ever successfully make a TCP connection in order to be able to submit a request to the web server at all. Not just "a bot is hitting my phpBB server pages constantly", which still looks like and "counts" as activity.

But with Cloudflare in front, a TCP-level attack seems unlikely.

Harewood wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:57 am
I have checked your server and can assure you that it is running smoothly.
Looks your web-site statistics system works in a not proper way. Please check its configuration.
Why do they refer to it as "your web-site statistics system." What does "their web-site statistics system" show, then? (The one provided by your actual hosting provider.) Does it also show "no drop-off in visits and bandwidth" like you're saying Cloudflare also shows?

What they're saying certainly sounds "possible"... Do you have your own statistics system, and is that system suddenly having errors or failures in attempting to retrieve the web server logs in order to calculate the view you're seeing here? Where does that statistics system run, and how does it access your server logs. i.e. The reduced stats simply reflect a reduced number of logs it was able to retrieve?

Since you mentioned Cloudflare, and "the Cloudflare logs dont show any dip in traffic whatsoever", can you check that Cloudflare doesn't show these visits are now being served from cache? It seems like an unlikely explanation, but is one situation that would fit with the symptom of "my web server isn't getting hit as much any more, even though it doesn't seem like anything is wrong."
david63

Post by david63 »

EA117 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:20 pm
Yes, but wouldn't those types of "attacks" (also characterized as a bot which is just doing it's job, but without a reasonable rate limit) have shown as an increase in those metrics, not a drop-off like is being shown here.
Possibly but I was looking at the rise in bandwidth which could be indicative of a bot attack
David
P_I

Post by P_I »

EA117 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:20 pm
P_I wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:17 pm
Harewood wrote:
Hi,
Happened back in November 2019 for me and others.
:oops: :oops: My apologies, I read "hits" and quickly glanced at the awstats graph and didn't notice the reduction in traffic was the question.

Getting back to the original question, did anything change on your server, particularly on June 18th? I checked the awstats for my board and June traffic is steady month to date and consistent with previous years.

FWIW, I had an awstats problem a number of years back when we switched from HTTP to HTTPS protocol, on my shared hosting site they kept the stats separately by protocol.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “phpBB Discussion”