Does phpBB use hooks?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Elysea

Does phpBB use hooks?

Post by Elysea »

I was admin on different phpbb fora for many years, but about 4 years ago we started to use FB and then Discord, because I spend more time maintaining the fora than gaming. But FB and Discord doesn't do the job at all.
My question is, does phpBB now use hooks for plugins?
david63

Re: Does phpBB use hooks?

Post by david63 »

It depends on what you mean by hooks.

phpBB uses extensions which utilise events within the core code
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Elysea

Post by Elysea »

Before, when adding/installing an extension, it was usually required to edit the source code, so when phpbb was updated, every edit had to be done again. When an extension was removed, the edit had to be found and removed. An outdated extension could break the whole forum.
Hooks; like WordPress, just install and go.
rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu »

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Elysea wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am
Before, when adding/installing an extension, it was usually required to edit the source code, so when phpbb was updated, every edit had to be done again. When an extension was removed, the edit had to be found and removed. An outdated extension could break the whole forum.
Hooks; like WordPress, just install and go.
"Hooks" is just a word describing a fixed place where extra code should come into play.
That word was used in phpBB discussions when development of 3.1 was getting started, but soon the term was dropped in favour of "events".
phpBB now has lots of events allowing extra code to be injected in real time at specific locations in the cached files.
This effectively amounts to the same end result, but with the advantage that no more modifying phpBB files is needed and extension only needs to be uploaded and enabled. (You actually used the word "extensions" incorrectly as you were referring to phpBB3.0 (or 2.0) modifications).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Elysea

Post by Elysea »

rxu wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 am
No code edits now https://www.phpbb.com/extensions/installing/
Thank you! I have been looking for somewhere to read about todays phpBB forum.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”