forum with password

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
php_BB_Lover
I've Been Banned!

Re: forum with password

Post by php_BB_Lover »

KevC wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:00 am
Do we really have to?
no
No
please explain.
The point of permissions is that you give forum access to a group. If people are in the group they can see that forum. If you don't want the bots to see that forum, you set their permission to no access. Job done. That's it. Nothing else. Nothing to analyse and more importantly, not annoying your members to have to type a password in every single time they want to get in a forum. Regardless of whether they like it, give it a couple of weeks and they'll be sick of doing it.
the whole point from your view is right.
but everyone has a different view!
the only problem i see on that system is that forum icon dosnt show lock on it when it gets password protected. that's why most users get confused and try and try to get in. if phpbb team fix that by showing a password or lock icon on password-protected-forms that problem would be solved i guess!
[/quote]
Version: phpBB 3.3.0
Theme: default
Regards
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

:)

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
php_BB_Lover
I've Been Banned!

Post by php_BB_Lover »

warmweer wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:02 am
BTW: Something to think about
2 pages of repeated and distorted questions for something a simple search (phpBB, Google, Bing , whatever) would have given you the answer to within 5 seconds.
most of the repeated posts were from you. i had to answer your posts.
Regards
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

php_BB_Lover wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:22 am
please explain.
We already have, several times. I still can't believe we're heading towards 3 pages of this.
The bots are not clever enough to read the forum description and work out which of those words is a password to a forum they can't even get in to anyway. How many times do we have to say that, please!!
php_BB_Lover wrote:
the only problem i see on that system is that forum icon dosnt show lock on it when it gets password protected. that's why most users get confused and try and try to get in. if phpbb team fix that by showing a password or lock icon on password-protected-forms that problem would be solved i guess!
2 ways to stop confusing your members.
Write [password protected] in the forum title
(better) Use the permissions and groups like everyone else does and then the whole thing is solved from confusing your members to worrying about bots being able to read passwords. ALL of that goes away.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
php_BB_Lover
I've Been Banned!

Post by php_BB_Lover »

Mick wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:08 am
]Proof please.
password protection for forums is awesome, the phpbb team should add this functionality to topics too in the future.
it has only one big problem that i explained in this post
Regards
php_BB_Lover
I've Been Banned!

Post by php_BB_Lover »

david63 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:17 am
It would only appear in the forum description if you put it there which would totally defeat the whole purpose.
robots easily could get it from there!
Oh yes we would. This board has almost 400k members, and then there are all the thousands of boards out there. If this was happening we would certainly know about by now.
maybe nobody think about this yet seriously!
Regards
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

php_BB_Lover wrote:
Password protected =! locked so a locked icon would be really confusing (and wrong).
A Password protected icon isn't a bad idea as such but password protected forums are usually temporary and quick solutions for something. Using the permission system provides a lot more flexibility and there's no risk of a password being circulated.

And again you're deviating from the original subject. There's an Ideas forum where you can propose/suggest feature enhancements (or new features). (I do recommend however that you make the idea clear).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
php_BB_Lover
I've Been Banned!

Post by php_BB_Lover »

KevC wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:30 am
We already have, several times. I still can't believe we're heading towards 3 pages of this.
no, show me only one post before this post's date in this topic that explains about this concept. it was all yes and no answers.
The bots are not clever enough to read the forum description and work out which of those words is a password to a forum they can't even get in to anyway. How many times do we have to say that, please!!
yes they are, they are more clever than you think. the first thing that they check is the [name] and [description] of forum. and after that they check other things like their passwords database and etc.
2 ways to stop confusing your members.
but i think showing the password/lock on forum's icon is the best to solve this problem.
Regards
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

php_BB_Lover wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:34 am
robots easily could get it from there!
And wouldn't be able to do anything with it except perhaps index it which would be really interesting in search results. (defeating the purpose)
BTW there's hardly ever a real need to reply to every post, unless of course OCD comes into play.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
php_BB_Lover
I've Been Banned!

Post by php_BB_Lover »

warmweer wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:38 am
Password protected =! locked so a locked icon would be really confusing (and wrong).
i said it for example. putting whatever icon that shows forum is protected by password.
Using the permission system provides a lot more flexibility and there's no risk of a password being circulated.
again, most people love this option and dont wanna lose it!
this is an option and you dont have to active it!
And again you're deviating from the original subject. There's an Ideas forum where you can propose/suggest feature enhancements (or new features). (I do recommend however that you make the idea clear).
we have to answer when a question brings other questions!
but yes we have to focus on main question!
Regards
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

php_BB_Lover wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:51 am
no, show me only one post before this post's date in this topic that explains about this concept. it was all yes and no answers.
AAARRRGGHHH!!!

There's nothing to explain.
Your question was can an indexing bot get a password and enter a protected forum. No. We've said no several times now. That's it. There is no more. There's nothing more to understand.
php_BB_Lover wrote:
yes they are, they are more clever than you think. the first thing that they check is the [name] and [description] of forum. and after that they check other things like their passwords database and etc.
And your evidence to that is what?
Spambots certainly are clever. They have the ability to read captchas, reference databases of questions and answers to beat Q&A registration and they can do simple tasks like maths and being asked to select letters from a code. But they are very specific tasks that actually can be stopped incredibly simply because they have no logic ability to understand what to do.

A passworded forum is very different and if you were stupid enough to publish the password openly then frankly you deserve to have the bots getting in instead of doing what everyone else does and simply use the permissions system which they cannot get around. However, we've all been doing this a long long time and there is no evidence of a bot getting in to a passworded forum.
php_BB_Lover wrote:
but i think showing the password/lock on forum's icon is the best to solve this problem.
Then go for it, ignore the years of experience that we are giving you and see how you get on.
Add a forum icon, it's in manage forum > edit> forum icon. Make one that says password or something similar. Done. Stop massively over complicating everything you ask about. Three fricken pages of this now. We told you the answer ages ago.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
php_BB_Lover
I've Been Banned!

Post by php_BB_Lover »

warmweer wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:54 am
And wouldn't be able to do anything with it except perhaps index it which would be really interesting in search results. (defeating the purpose)
more than indexing. if the topics is private then contents could be important too!
BTW there's hardly ever a real need to reply to every post, unless of course OCD comes into play.
okay, then dont reply!
Regards
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Do you realize you're beating a dead horse or how do we explain this?
Enough, there's nothing to add, just relax and read it all over again, think about it, experience it for yourself and maybe one day you'll be able to say: they were right! This is not the way you're gonna find people willing to answer your questions in the future, you understand?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I’m going to move this to phpBB discussion as the original support topic has been answered . . . several times.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Sorry I didn't answer this bit.
php_BB_Lover wrote:
Bots will access the page requesting the password but not the forum.
your question amounted to: can bots index passworded forums?
So to summarise: NO
Regardless of what permission you give the bots, they don't have the password. They don't know you're supposed to enter one. They can't go any further.
Standard bots do nothing more than crawl so that should suffice as answer.
The bots are not clever enough to read the forum description and work out which of those words is a password to a forum they can't even get in to anyway.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “phpBB Discussion”