Updating Order

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: Updating Order

Post by Marshalrusty »

BarneyC wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:32 pm
If coding using symphony is what kiddie do then why don't you make your own forums? It's all so easy.
Frameworks are for cranking out projects without having to put together all the glue. In 20 years a project should have its own code base. You build a website with bootstrap, and over time you rip it out and replace it with your own collection of components. symfony didn't exist before 2007. Who adds a framework to a 7 year old project?
Your explanation of how frameworks are supposed to work gives me mild anxiety symptoms.

If I may ask, are you a professional developer? What do you work on?
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Heo32 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:49 am
stevemaury wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:43 pm Please tell us where you see an indication that 3.2.x is EOL, because it isn't.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2534536
phpBB 3.2 will directly enter a reduced maintenance mode during which it will only receive changes for major issues as well as any security issues. The timetable for maintenance and security fixes is as follows:
  • End of Maintenance (EOM): April 6th, 2020
  • End of Life (EOL): July 6th, 2020
EOL for security fixes, not support.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

BarneyC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:50 pm They''re doing an EOL while still planning another release, and they haven't tested most of the extensions for 3.3. These are all good reasons to take a snapshot of the product and support it yourself. These are guys moving on without concern for the customer base, which is pretty typical in open source projects.
It isn't up to phpBB to test extensions with an upgrade as they aren't responsible for 98% of the extensions anyway (the exception being the ones that are made specifically by phpBB team members). They validate them to ensure there aren't any security vulnerabilities and work as intended.

Further your statement concerning open source projects is just plain asinine.

FYI, PHP (1997) itself is open source, so is Laravel (2015), so is nginx (2004) and so is apache (1995).

Either of which, if without, you wouldn't be able to run any forum software package at all. Unless you were bound and determine to "re-create the wheel".

Your statements really show your complete lack of understanding on how open source actually works.

For the record I am neither supporting nor defending phpBB.
This from the guy with no cell phone who can't make minor modifications for his "clients". Replacing all files requires that you re-do all of your modifications; the more mods you've made the more work "upgrading" is.
And this coming from the guy who probably didn't have an Apple I (not sure what having a cell phone or not has anything to do with anything).

BTW, just about >all< forum software is such where editing core files isn't needed. Hacking core files is so 2000'ish. Get with the times!!
Newer is only better if it fixes something that is broken or adds something that you want.
Push button dial phones and land lines weren't, and still aren't, broken so your statement, again, is asinine. You WANT a cell phone that doesn't mean you have to have one.
There's really no point to using an open source project if you're not going to make any modifications; you might as well pay the $69 or whatever and use a commercial project that has real support.
Is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use Open Source software (with the exception of PHP, Laravel, Nginx and Apache or whatever other Open Source software your host happens to be using)? Why not just move along and purchase whatever you like. vBulletin has always been a paid for forum software and it has issues all along the way (with some fixes taking an inordinate amount of time) so your logic, again, fails.

"The nubness is strong with this one. I can feel it!"
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

stevemaury wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:01 pm EOL for security fixes, not support.
That was not clear to me. Good to know. By chance, does the phpBB team have a date in mind for the final EOL release of 3.2 by chance?

Based on the milestones indicating no updates applied for a 3.2.11 release, it looks like 3.2.10 may be the final release of the 3.2 series. Yet looking at the tracker indicates otherwise.

Can we expect a 3.2.11 release in the future with the listed bugs from the tracker fixed, and possibly further updates afterwards with security issues patched?
BarneyC wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:32 pm you're telling me to go to something commercial where I'm at the mercy of lesser programmers.
You must be one hell of a programmer to make such a bold statement comparing yourself to professionals that code forums for a living. Have you considered making your own forum software from scratch and competing with vBulletin, Xenforo, Invision Community and all the rest to show them how its done? If not, phpBB could really use someone with your skills.
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Heo32 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:43 pm Can we expect a 3.2.11 release in the future with the listed bugs from the tracker fixed, and possibly further updates afterwards with security issues patched?
Not necessarily, no. As part of the release routine once a release is done for a version then any outstanding tickets for that version are simply moved in JIRA to the next possible version. The existence of a version in our tracker does not indicate that it will be created and released. For example you can find references in the history of some tickets to 3.1.13-RC1 yet that version never existed.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

DavidIQ wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:48 pm Not necessarily, no. As part of the release routine once a release is done for a version then any outstanding tickets for that version are simply moved in JIRA to the next possible version. The existence of a version in our tracker does not indicate that it will be created and released. For example you can find references in the history of some tickets to 3.1.13-RC1 yet that version never existed.
Thank you.
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

BarneyC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:50 pmHow ridiculous is this project in general? They''re doing an EOL while still planning another release and they haven't tested most of the extensions for 3.3. These are all good reasons to take a snapshot of the product and support it yourself. These are guys moving on without concern for the customer base, which is pretty typical in open source projects.
You seem to have plenty to say on the project, both here and in other topics on the methods used at phpBB.com. Maybe you could suggest a better method for maintenance or updates? Or, better still, have a look in to helping instead of whining, I know they’re after Jr. Extension Validators at this moment, maybe you could start there?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Maks33

Post by Maks33 »

BarneyC wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:32 pm Frameworks are for cranking out projects without having to put together all the glue. In 20 years a project should have its own code base. You build a website with bootstrap, and over time you rip it out and replace it with your own collection of components. symfony didn't exist before 2007. Who adds a framework to a 7 year old project?

That's just your opinion with no basis in reality. There are countless professional websites which are based on frameworks even years later. Why re-create the wheel and waste money and time when there's already safer, optimized frameworks available for what you intend to do.

By your logic, you shouldn't use any forums open source or otherwise at all and instead code your own.

See how ridiculous that is?.
There a 3.3 demo. What specifically should I look at to see the great new features? Please point me so I can experience this great upgrade first hand. It looked pretty much the same to me the last time I looked at it.

whatsnewphpbb3.jpg

Someone called this a "major upgrade", but this doc says its a minor upgrade. This is all internal plumbing.
Support for latest PHP is pretty major and so is seo fixes not to mention the security fixes and other things here and there inside core. But this is phpbb. Like i said if you're looking for tons of new features, move on to xenforo etc.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

In my opinion it's a troll who registered under a new name to avoid being recognized, he talked in his previous posts about experiences he had 14 years ago and so on. He is not able to go further in detail and does not answer questions asked to him on purpose, he freely insults those who work/contribute for/to the project. Whoever has the most, put some. I think ignoring him may be the cure, although I admit it's very difficult. :ugeek:

search.php?author_id=2035156&sr=posts
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
BarneyC

Post by BarneyC »

Imagine having so little self-esteem and ability that you go around calling everyone who exposes how foolish you are a "troll" like it's 1995 or something. So amusing.

For you younger folks, "Trolls" where what the one-eyed men called the people who actually knew things. Mailing lists always had 1 "leader" who knew a bit more than everyone else, and everyone on the list thought he was oh-so special. Then an actual knowledgable person would come on and be appalled by the misinformation; and they'd point out how this leader was a clueless toad and that most of the info he was conveying was wrong. In order to save face, the leader would try to dismiss these people as "Trolls". The so-called trolls were actually the people who knew what they were talking about.

And these List "leaders" were called one-eyed men by real programmers, because as we know, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

I'm just surprised at how little this project has progressed in such a long time. It's better than OS Commerce
BarneyC

Post by BarneyC »

That's just your opinion with no basis in reality. There are countless professional websites which are based on frameworks even years later. Why re-create the wheel and waste money and time when there's already safer, optimized frameworks available for what you intend to do.

By your logic, you shouldn't use any forums open source or otherwise at all and instead code your own.

See how ridiculous that is?.
Right, because making something slow and clunky and difficult to maintain faster, more efficient and more modern is a waste of time and energy
There a 3.3 demo. What specifically should I look at to see the great new features? Please point me so I can experience this great upgrade first hand. It looked pretty much the same to me the last time I looked at it.

whatsnewphpbb3.jpg

Someone called this a "major upgrade", but this doc says its a minor upgrade. This is all internal plumbing.
Support for latest PHP is pretty major and so is seo fixes not to mention the security fixes and other things here and there inside core. But this is phpbb. Like i said if you're looking for tons of new features, move on to xenforo etc.
Anyone who upgrade PHP to run this doesn't understand what they're doing. Talk about wasting your time trying to support bleeding edge versions of PHP.

The things you describe are not features. They're internal maintenance. A feature is something that provides a new or better experience. My users don't give a rat's butt about SEO; most of which I've already changed myself as part of integrating the forums into a web site. You're still using smilies from 2002. The world has moved on and you guys are struggling to keep the thing running on the latest PHP. If the code was easier to manage (and there weren't over 4100 files) you wouldn't spend so much time on minutia.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

This topic died 9 months ago. I don't see why you felt the need to reply to it just to bash another user. Since there's no longer a discussion value, this topic is closed.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
My little corner of the world, where I sometimes post things documented from my job.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”