Must a User Divulge His Email Address?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
bobg56

Must a User Divulge His Email Address?

Post by bobg56 »

I know that without an email address you couldn't receive notifications. But some people are really paranoid about divulging their email address. So I am wondering if it's possible to let people register with a madeup (unique) userid and password and then they signon from time to time to see what's up. (Exactly the way I use a forum for which I used a toss-away email address which I used only for registration and long ago forgot the password for it.) Thanks, Bob
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Must a User Divulge His Email Address?

Post by thecoalman »

You can set account activation to "none" and they will get immediate access. They may still be required to enter email address, you could edit template to indicate they may enter fake email. Turn off any checks for email.

One of the problems with this (and it's very big problem) is you do not want to be sending a bunch of emails to fake email accounts because you could end up on spammer block list, disabling board emails completely will prevent this but anyone that wants to receive notifications won't get them.

Looking over the permissions set I don't see anyway to completely disable notifications for PM's on per group basis which is prerequisite to limit them to real addresses.This would require extension or custom coding.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

bobg56 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:06 pm
But some people are really paranoid about divulging their email address.
It's not many. Everyone has an email address. Many people even have a 'junk' one specifically for cases like this where they want to just register for something. One minute's work and they've got a throw-away gmail account to use for that so it's not like they need to use a work address or something they use for important things.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
BarneyC

Post by BarneyC »

KevC wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:10 am
bobg56 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:06 pm
But some people are really paranoid about divulging their email address.
It's not many. Everyone has an email address. Many people even have a 'junk' one specifically for cases like this where they want to just register for something. One minute's work and they've got a throw-away gmail account to use for that so it's not like they need to use a work address or something they use for important things.
I don't see the point of requiring email registration in modern times. The spammers have it automated and many people have their spam filters so aggressive that they miss half of their emails. And like you say, it's easy enough to create a bit bucket account.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

guess what, there are many many thousands of us out here that don't have smart phones or tablets etc. and therefore we don't get any other type of notifications than email.
email is and always has been and probably will be for a long time, one of the main ways people communicate on the net.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
BarneyC

Post by BarneyC »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:04 am
guess what, there are many many thousands of us out here that don't have smart phones or tablets etc. and therefore we don't get any other type of notifications than email.
email is and always has been and probably will be for a long time, one of the main ways people communicate on the net.

robert
Nobody said it shouldn't be an option. There's just no point to making it a registration requirement, because you're really not verifying anything.

One interesting thing about "the 'net" is getting to banter with cave people, who don't have a cell phone and don't know about twitter and text messages.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Oh, interesting. :? Have you got a code-wise implementation of your own personal envision? :ugeek:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

BarneyC wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:22 pm
cave people, who don't have a cell phone and don't know about twitter and text messages.
Wow, I've just been downgraded to cave person :lol:
But ... the company's good :thumbsup:
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

reading is FUNdamental.

if you notice I said I don't have a smart phone. I did not say I don't have a cell phone, I do. I did not say I could not text, I can. I don't, but I can. I did not say I do not have a twitter account, I do, but I have not used it for years.

however, I do make my living with computers, online everyday. I have no idea what you do or how you do it.
all I have noticed from your posts here is that you are not a very nice person.

luck and joy,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

BarneyC wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:22 pm
One interesting thing about "the 'net" is getting to banter with cave people, who don't have a cell phone and don't know about twitter and text messages
I’m getting on a bit but can use and have most tech about my cave and have been showing lesser mortals (millenials and the like) how to use them correctly for many years. Personally I don’t think there’s enough education on trolls.

If I’m not mistaken it was cave men who built the pyramids.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

BarneyC wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:15 am
I don't see the point of requiring email registration in modern times.
Without it, no mass emails and no subscription or PM emails. And in phpBB, by default, no user's email is visible to other users.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

Back to the initial question.
I found this question valuable and I feel it is a shame that it has been buried below that wealth of replies.
I asked myself. What for would I need the email address of a user of my forum?
Fairly quickly, a few ideas came to my mind. However, none of it survived a critical review.
So, please, share with me your position why a forum owner needs to know members email addresses?
This includes the question why mass emails may be required and so on.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Suppose the user wants to be notified for various things. Without an Email address, how would you notify them of those events?
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Even facebook requires either an email address or mobil number. Which would prefer to give to them?

phpBB doesn't have SMS so the email is used to verify who they are. Otherwise, you could have multiple fake users and no way to contact them or remind them to register. Websites get forgotten about unless actively visited by a registered user.

I can think of no website that doesn't require some sort of validation upon registration. Do you know of one?
There's just no point to making it a registration requirement, because you're really not verifying anything.
You're verifying that the user is able to receive emails to the address that they input. There's the COPPA also, mandated by law, but there's zero way to verify a persons age.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
david63

Post by david63 »

HaioPaio wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:39 pm
So, please, share with me your position why a forum owner needs to know members email addresses?
To send them a new password when they have lost/forgotten the original one.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”