Current Bot Attack

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
david63

Current Bot Attack

Post by david63 »

There seems to be a bot attack from IP 202.143.123.245 currently taking place and you may wish to consider blocking this IP
Last edited by thecoalman on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB Discussion
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Current Bot Attack

Post by 3Di »

> Done withouth htaccess. Thanks.

202.143.123.245/32
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity ΒΊ PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! πŸš€
John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

:lol: There's a bot attack from a multitude of ASNs all over the net. Use CIDRAM and add modules, especially the AbuseIPDB module.

https://www.abuseipdb.com/check/202.143.123.245
Having spam problems? Install this extension and/or this script.
How to help protect your site from hackers.
0FL ?FE<JKCP K?@EB PFL ;<:F;<;β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹ K?@J D<JJ8><t +?@EB 8>8@Ec
qcz

Post by qcz »

What do you mean bot attack? Is there a bot attacking phpBB boards? Or just phpbb.com? :?:
Broadcastre Computer Chat https://broadcastre.cc

It appears that most of the members on my board haven't been on for at least a month :cry:

Staying apart keeps us together
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There has been a lot of sites affected over the past few months by bots accessing sites, not sure if it is specific to phpBB. In that case I don't believe it's a DDOS attack but scraper bots harvesting content. It amounts to DDOS attack because they are aggressive and overwhelming the sites resources.

If someone is specifically attacking your site with DDOS it's usually multiple IP's, hundreds or even thousands of them. It's very easy to stop DDOS from one IP, not so easy from multiple IP's unless you are prepared for it. Most DDOS attacks are carried out by guns for hire. they rent their bot network for $X per hour, $X depends on the scale of the attack.

A single IP attempting various exploits is very common. I see hundreds of occurrences each day for this. I checked my logs for this IP and it doesn't appear, I did however have a German IP around the same time this was posted with short burst of 36K requests attempting an SQL injection attack which is very out of the ordinary because of the amount of requests.
β€œResults! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

thecoalman wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 am
There has been a lot of sites affected over the past few months by bots accessing sites, not sure if it is specific to phpBB. In that case I don't believe it's a DDOS attack but scraper bots harvesting content. It amounts to DDOS attack because they are aggressive and overwhelming the sites resources.

If someone is specifically attacking your site with DDOS it's usually multiple IP's, hundreds or even thousands of them. It's very easy to stop DDOS from one IP, not so easy from multiple IP's unless you are prepared for it. Most DDOS attacks are carried out by guns for hire. they rent their bot network for $X per hour, $X depends on the scale of the attack.

A single IP attempting various exploits is very common. I see hundreds of occurrences each day for this. I checked my logs for this IP and it doesn't appear, I did however have a German IP around the same time this was posted with short burst of 36K requests attempting an SQL injection attack which is very out of the ordinary because of the amount of requests.
You mean SQL Injection attacks on phpBB based sites. It's possible? I had read that this topic was well assured
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I believe he means that they are attempting, not getting through. however, the attempts can show up in the logs.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:04 pm
I believe he means that they are attempting, not getting through. however, the attempts can show up in the logs.

robert
what logs do you mean? Apache error.log?
John connor

Post by John connor »

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 am
In that case I don't believe it's a DDOS attack but scraper bots harvesting content. It amounts to DDOS attack because they are aggressive and overwhelming the sites resources.

This is called a layer 7 DDoS attack and CloudFlare can protect you from this for a small fee. However, outright banning the ASNs, IPs, CIDRs is what I do from the jump. So if they get past the 78 pages of ASNs I block in CloudFlare, then they hit CIDRAM, from there is other stuff I shall not talk about.
0FL ?FE<JKCP K?@EB PFL ;<:F;<;β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹ K?@J D<JJ8><t +?@EB 8>8@Ec
John connor

Post by John connor »

alumnoxxi wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:13 pm
what logs do you mean? Apache error.log?
Access logs.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

alumnoxxi wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:51 pm
You mean SQL Injection attacks on phpBB based sites. It's possible? I had read that this topic was well assured
I said attempting, I didn't say succeeding. AFAIK the last time phpBB has had a known SQL injection vulnerability would be 2.X branch prior to 2007.

If you look through your access logs you'll see all kinds of strangely formed requests. Download your access logs and search for the percentage sign, those are typically SQL injection attempts. If you search for wp-login.php you'll find many requests for it even if you don't use Wordpress. If you carefully look through the logs you'll also find multiple requests for files and folders that do not exist, they are just looking for potentially vulnerable scripts or services to exploit. That's why it's important to keep any web application you are running up to date.
β€œResults! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

david63 wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:37 am
There seems to be a bot attack from IP 202.143.123.245 currently taking place and you may wish to consider blocking this IP
Thanks David, good looking out πŸ‘
Proudly powered by phpBB for almost 4 years now: forex-station.com :mrgreen:
Global Alexa rank: 41,500
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:41 am
If you search for wp-login.php you'll find many requests for it even if you don't use Wordpress. If you carefully look through the logs you'll also find multiple requests for files and folders that do not exist, they are just looking for potentially vulnerable scripts or services to exploit. That's why it's important to keep any web application you are running up to date.
It's also a signal for which web applications or plugins not to use. If the particular app/plugin has a known vulnerability that people are actively probing for, it's best to avoid it all together.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton book β€’ Mac GUI β€’ Mac 512K Blog
John connor

Post by John connor »

Off topic pertaining to WordPress, but if you use WordPress in addition to phpBB like I do, follow the Ninjafirewall account at Twitter. They do post all the time one plug-in after another that has a vulnerability and their updates. At least that's what I saw when I used Twitter. I use WordPress for a website and I can tell you it seems like that CMS is the most sought after by would-be hackers and spam. Never mind the sheer amount of vulnerabilities. You have to know how to lock it down right which requires a lot of research. And under no circumstances should you use a theme or plug-in from some other website besides the WordPress site its self that hosts plug-ins and themes. Unless of course the source can be vetted and is reputable. Even then, many years ago when I had a blog using WordPress I installed a captcha plug-in from the WordPress site. Then one day I forgot I had NoScript (a browser add-on) turned on for my domain which I never do or even need. When it was on I saw it was blocking some script on my site and I was like the hell is that?! Shouldn't be blocking any script that I know of. So through some research on my site I narrowed it down to the captcha plug-in and then when I searched on the Internet about this plug-in everyone was saying how this plug-in was pulling shenanigans. WordPress eventually removed that plug-in from their website. So it goes without saying that even so called "kosher" plug-ins for WordPress or even add-ons for browsers or Apps from your play store can be a source of shenanigans.

Trust but verify.... the code. :lol:
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Keep in mind - these attacks that you see which seem to be easily fingerprinted are just the amateurs. The real battle is the bots that appear to be normal users coming from normal IP addresses (residential, business and mobile) . These days its safe to assume a certain percentage traffic (a large amount for some) to some boards is not legitimate even though it appears so to all but the most experienced webmasters.

Return to β€œphpBB Discussion”