Updating 3.3.x

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Heo32

Updating 3.3.x

Post by Heo32 »

There is an article for 3.2.x here, but I couldn't find one in the 3.3 Knowledge Base. I sent a PM to stevemaury (the kind elderly gentlemen that couldn't find the woman without underwear (see my signature)) to see if he could write up an article regarding this subject back in January, but I see it hasn't been done yet.

Steve replied shortly after stating that...
  • There are no substantive differences between the two
  • There is nothing to update to at the moment
We could really use one now that 3.3.1 is out even if it is the same steps as 3.2.x. If that is the case, a simple copy and paste should do the trick, along with a few minor edits.

Please? :D
Is this for you? Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare

Content-Security-Policy: Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline
stevemaury wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Balthazarrrr

Re: Updating 3.3.x

Post by Balthazarrrr »

Agreed. Subscribing because I couldn't update my forum either.

(I tried the package method, I tried the full update method, neither worked. I stated in the other topic that the installation basically states that I have extra files. But they don't exist? Like I go into the path it says and there is nothing.)
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

Heo32 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:23 pm
We could really use one now that 3.3.1 is out even if it is the same steps as 3.2.x. If that is the case, a simple copy and paste should do the trick, along with a few minor edits.
As steve said, just use the 3.2.x-update instructions with the "full package method" and you will be fine. :)
Balthazarrrr wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 am
Agreed. Subscribing because I couldn't update my forum either.

(I tried the package method, I tried the full update method, neither worked. I stated in the other topic that the installation basically states that I have extra files. But they don't exist? Like I go into the path it says and there is nothing.)
You should create a support topic and in it describe more precisely what you did and what happend and what the entries in the server error log are, if you get a white page.
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
david63

Post by david63 »

Heo32 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:23 pm
We could really use one now that 3.3.1 is out
It would be identical apart from three charcters
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Crizzo wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:49 am
As steve said, just use the 3.2.x-update instructions with the "full package method" and you will be fine. :)
Unacceptable. Knowing that the update process for 3.2 is the same as 3.3 is not the point here. Just because I know I can update my forums doesn't mean others know how to update their forums. Understood? On top of that, phpBB 3.3.1 is out now, fyi. That means there should be a guide now on updating within the proper KB location.

The similarities between updating one version of phpBB vs. another is irrelevant. We're now talking about a KB page of an EOL version of phpBB that people are just magically supposed to know to refer to because none of the staff here wants to copy and paste an old article into the 3.3 KB location? I don't buy that, yet I am not surprised to see that comment with a smiley face slapped on at the end. This is the typical response I was expecting to get by a staff member here. What a passively and negligent statement to make, expecting everyone here to refer to an old KB.

For the sake of the less-informed phpBB users here, I'll say this: No.

And by not doing it, you are hurting yourselves. Uninformed users means fewer users when they can't find what they need in the expected location. The more uninformed users will inevitably end up running outdated forums, which will leave them vulnerable if and when new exploits withing phpBB 3.3.x are discovered.

I remember back in the day when Acyd Burn was around. He was adamant about having proper documentation. You all know (the staff here) that this is something that should be done, yet you're telling me it won't be? Since when did phpBB staff become so passively lazy and negligent when it comes to proper documentation in a new Knowledge Base? Now is the right time for one of you to show initiative by taking a few minutes to plagiarize something that already exists and replace "3.2.x" in it with "3.3.x". When someone refers to the 3.3 Knowledge Base, they'll see "Updating 3.3.x" there and use it. Not everyone that is updating their 3.3.x board (e.g 3.3.0 to 3.3.1) knows to look in the older 3.2 KB location. Why would they? Why should they? Why is the staff here being lazy? Who knows?

What are your plans when phpBB 4.0 comes out? Will the staff here still be telling everyone to refer to the "Updating 3.2.x" KB for their regular updates? Do the right thing for the community and do the copy and paste, then finish it off with those minor edits. After that, smoke a big fat cigar and take the rest of the day off.
Crizzo wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:49 am
just use the 3.2.x-update instructions
Laughable.

I'm guessing this is going to get edited and locked since the staff are immune from blatant direct common sense statements. We are living in a culture era of victimhood where everything has to be censored and rated G in order to get digested and processed.

Content-Security-Policy: Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline
stevemaury wrote:
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
david63

Post by david63 »

If you feel so strongly that a new KB article is required then there is nothing to stop you writing it and submitting it.

You seem to overlook the fact that everyone here is a volunteer and phpBB does not have any "staff" members.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

david63 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:12 pm
If you feel so strongly that a new KB article is required then there is nothing to stop you writing it and submitting it.

You seem to overlook the fact that everyone here is a volunteer and phpBB does not have any "staff" members.
I'll gladly write it up to help out this community.

I haven't overlooked anything. I know everyone is volunteering. What I didn't know is that I have the ability to fix this small yet important oversight by submitting a KB article myself.

Where do I go to get started?

stevemaury wrote:
david63

Post by david63 »

Heo32 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:22 pm
Create it and send it by PM to one of the Community Team and they will do the rest.
David
Crizzo
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

Hi,

Yes, you are right, the documentation should be more up to date.
Heo32 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:22 pm
I think a new "3.3" flag with some minor changes will help in that article, I will point this post to the supporters.

Regards
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I will take care of it.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

OK, here is the resolution. Since the 3.2.x KB article, and any future 3.3.x KB article are already covered in the User Guide, here - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... radeguide/ , we have removed the 3.2.x update KB article and have redirected links to it to go to the User Guide Upgrade link, above.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

That seems like a good idea. There are several issues with the new update instructions I'd like to point out:

• Updates are considered minor, so instead of having "Minor Updates Within 3.2.x" and "Minor Updates Within 3.2.x" as titles (redundant), it should simply say "Updates for 3.2.x" and "Updates for 3.3.x" respectively within the Upgrade Guide tabs.
  • The original step 5 stated:
    • - 5. Go to the ACP, Board settings, and make sure prosilver is set as the default style. If not, set it to prosilver. Also make sure British English is set as the default language.
    Is this step no longer required for any of the new update options (full, changed, automatic and patch)? If not, what changed and why was it removed? If it was necessary to perform this step, or good practice, please include it where it belongs.
  • The original step 6 stated:
    • - 6. Using FTP, delete the /vendor and /cache folders from the board's root folder on the host.
    I no longer see any mention in any of the new update options that the /cache folder must be deleted from the board's root folder on the host. Once again, is this deliberate or an oversight? If this step was necessary, or good practice, please consider including it where it belongs.
  • The new step 6 states that users must delete everything from their website except the config.php file, ext/ directory, images/ directory, files/ directory, store/ directory, and styles/ directory, yet the original Updating 3.2.x KB article made no mention of that. It is overkill. Please consider revising it. From the original KB article, step 6 instructs users to delete the /vendor directory and /cache directory only, then to follow step 7, which stated:
    • - 7. Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and folders (that is, the remaining CONTENTS of the phpBB3 folder) to the root folder of your board installation on the server, overwriting the existing files. (Note: take care not to delete any extensions in your /ext folder when uploading the new phpBB3 contents.)
  • The original KB article had a step 8, which stated:
    • - 8. If there are any install_config.php, *.lock or migration* files in the /store folder, delete them.
    None of the new update instructions mentions anything about any install_config.php, *.lock or migration* files in the /store folder, and I do believe that having *.lock files on a board can cause problems. I'm not sure about the install_config.php file however, yet deleting that as well is likely a good idea. Could the original step 8 be included and placed in the new update instructions where it belongs, based on the update option that the user has chosen, please?

For everyone's reference, and to compare the original Updating 3.2.x (deleted) KB article (shown below) with the new instructions (3.3 and 3.2), here it is...

Note: These steps also work when updating phpBB 3.3.x (e.g. 3.3.0 to 3.3.1, etc.).
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
  1. Backup all board files and the database.
  2. Download the Full Package of the latest version of 3.2.x
  3. Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
  4. Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images, /store and /files folders from the package (not your site).
  5. Go to the ACP, Board settings, and make sure prosilver is set as the default style. If not, set it to prosilver. Also make sure British English is set as the default language.
  6. Using FTP, delete the /vendor and /cache folders from the board's root folder on the host.
  7. Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and folders (that is, the remaining CONTENTS of the phpBB3 folder) to the root folder of your board installation on the server, overwriting the existing files. (Note: take care not to delete any extensions in your /ext folder when uploading the new phpBB3 contents.)
  8. If there are any install_config.php, *.lock or migration* files in the /store folder, delete them.
  9. In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/install
  10. Follow the steps to update the database and let that run to completion.
  11. Via FTP or SSH delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.
  12. Done.
You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts.

Follow up tasks:
  • Update your language pack
  • Update your style
Only use a good FTP or SSH client, such as FileZilla, to transfer the files. (File transfer utilities provided in host control panels can cause problems.)

stevemaury wrote:
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm
I will take care of it.
Steve, could you please take a look at my last post above in response to the new changes you made, and determine if any of my points need to be addressed? They may be applicable and important, but I'd prefer that you be the judge.

Thanks.

stevemaury wrote:
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Heo32 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:02 am
That seems like a good idea. There are several issues with the new update instructions I'd like to point out:
Some of the points you mentioned are valid, but not only for 3.3.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm
I will take care of it.
Bump.
Last edited by Mick on Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

stevemaury wrote:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”