Updating 3.3.x

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Heo32

Re: Updating 3.3.x

Post by Heo32 »

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm
I will take care of it.
Bump x2.
Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare • Updated: November 7, 2020

Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
stevemaury wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Heo32 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:05 pm
I will take care of it.
It has still not been properly taken care of yet I see, and phpBB 3.3.2 is coming out soon. If this doesn't get fixed, that could mean more issues and possibly an influx of people posting here asking for help.

stevemaury is clearly not available or interested in applying the corrections/improvements needed as I had noted.

If anyone other than stevemaury is willing and able to take on this task, it would be in everyone's interest to have these mistakes fixed sooner rather than later.
Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare • Updated: November 7, 2020

Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
stevemaury wrote:
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Nothing keeping you from doing it. I did what I thought was correct. But this is open source, so feel free.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

stevemaury wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:13 pm
Nothing keeping you from doing it.
That's great, I'll do a little Support Team Member work for you.

One problem remains: I don't see an Edit button or any way to change the pages here or here. All I've done so far is given suggestions and mentioned issues in phpBB. I don't have the experience of a Support Team Member yet, but I'm willing to learn.

Could you step me through the procedure to take on the work that you had done yet have no interest in fixing, stevemaury? Best not to let this slide much longer with unnecessary delays and ignored responses. As you may or may not know, phpBB 3.3.2 is coming out soon, and everyone should be informed on how to properly update/upgrade before that time comes.

stevemaury wrote:
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Those pages are generated based on the files in http://github.com/phpbb/documentation
You can create a pull request with your changes their and it will be reviewed.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

FWIW I just upgraded a 3.2.x test site to 3.3.1 by following the instructions here:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/

It works perfectly well. The only thing I would suggest is to add a recommendation to clear your browser cache and cookies after upgrading. I found that before doing that I was unable to log in to the ACP. The link to the ACP was visible when I was logged in to the forum itself, but it didn't do anything.

So, I ran a quick search on the boards for "ZOMG no can ACP!!!!" and found the hint about cache and cookies. That seems to fix the issue, so perhaps it should be added to the official instructions.

----------------------------------------------------------

Well to be honest I did cheat a bit on the instructions. You can save a lot of upload time (at least on my connection) by uploading the phpBB3 folder as a zip and extracting in situ, provided (and this is important) you extract it to an empty directory. Attempting to extract and overwrite in one operation will massively bork things. On the other hand, extracting to an empty directory is fine on my server. The extracted files can then be moved or copied over the the forum directory without causing any errors.

I realise this is not recommended procedure, and I understand why it is not recommended, but for anyone who is prepared to test it on their server before doing it with a live forum, and take responsibility for the result, it may save quite bit of time.
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Everyone is aware what needs to be fixed here. I gave specifics and have spent plenty of time carefully going over what was missed. Then came the "bumps" in this topic, and finally when I called out stevemaury for his mistakes only to be ignored by my responses directed at him, he tells me to do it myself. Even though I have no idea how that is done, I accepted the chore to edit the page like stevemaury did and asked for help on the procedure, only to be told that I need to make a pull request. What? So in other words, I can't edit it myself, and yet I've given everything that is needed here for all of you to make the necessary changes. You can review what changes are required on the first page and do it all yourselves now, but I see you've all chosen to be deliberately difficult. Considering stevemaury made the page in the first place just by me mentioning it here without a "pull request", I see nothing from stopping any of you staff members from editing it so it is done properly this time with the changes I had mentioned. It really is a simple matter of copying and pasting. So....... do it.

At this point, I don't feel like being jerked around anymore. You guys either want to do the right thing and include the small yet important changes I suggested, or you don't. Good thing for Gumboots -- He figured out that the cache had to be emptied. Now I'll leave it up to you staff to do what needs to be done, otherwise you can address all the upcoming support requests heading your way when people encounter issues with updates and upgrades due to the laziness and complacency I am seeing here. So enjoy it when it comes, and don't tell me I didn't warn you.

stevemaury wrote:
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Heo32 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:10 am
...Good thing for Gumboots -- He figured out that the cache had to be emptied.
The thing is that the cache purging is usually not necessary.
Could it be useful extra info: YES, but then again purging browser cache is sometimes also given as advice.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:39 pm
Heo32 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:10 am
...Good thing for Gumboots -- He figured out that the cache had to be emptied.
The thing is that the cache purging is usually not necessary.
Could it be useful extra info: YES, but then again purging browser cache is sometimes also given as advice.
Just noticed this. I was referring to the browser cache in my post, not the forum cache.

I couldn't access the ACP to do anything before clearing the browser cache and the phpBB cookies. Offhand I can't remember if I cleared the forum cache once I had ACP access again. I may have, just for the heck of it, but it wasn't a critical issue. The browser was what mattered.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”