Facebook Groups to Forum Groups or Forum Categories?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
man_o_man

Facebook Groups to Forum Groups or Forum Categories?

Post by man_o_man »

I am very new to phpBB, and in fact my site is still waiting for the theme author to complete customization of my site. But here is my question. I want to create groups in my forum just as I do on FB. My groups on FB are actually categories of animals, like

Small Breed Animals
Senior Animals
Special Needs Animals
etc. etc. etc.

So my question is this: Should I be creating a forum Group for each Facebook group, or should I be creating a forum Category for each Facebook group? And if the correct method is to create a category in my forum equivalent to every group on Facebook, then what exactly is the use of the Categories in my forum? Wouldn't creating Categories in my forum be a useless duplication of effort and also extremely confusing for forum members?
ssl
Name: Fred

Re: Facebook Groups to Forum Groups or Forum Categories?

Post by ssl »

Hi
A category without forums inside is useless.
A category is used to display a group of animals in your case, and within this category you can create several forums. By doing this you will have more possibility for the classification on your forum.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!
david63

Post by david63 »

Groups and categories in phpBB are two totally different things and cannot be related to how FB works.

In phpBB a group is used to hold a number of members that have the same permissions. So for example if you had a "Small Breed Animals" group then you could give the users in that group the permissions to carry out specific actions that other members could not do (such a have access to a particular forum)

Categories, on the other hand, are a means of grouping several fora together so, for example, you could have a category "Small Breed Animals" in which you could have a forum for "Brown Animals", another for "Non Native Animals" etc (sorry I don't know species of Small Breed Animals!)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

ok, let me see if I understand this correctly - so if I wanted, for example, to have something as close as possible to what I now have in FB, meaning the groups and community pages, and nothing else, then the correct method would be to create Categories in phpBB, and not create groups, is that correct?

And then the Groups in phpBB would simply be like a bonus, where only the members of a particular phpBB group would have access to what might be "private" categories which would be inaccessible by other forum members.

Did I understand the comments correctly?
david63

Post by david63 »

man_o_man wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:34 am
Yes
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
thecharmed01
Former Team Member

Post by thecharmed01 »

man_o_man wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:34 am
ok, let me see if I understand this correctly - so if I wanted, for example, to have something as close as possible to what I now have in FB, meaning the groups and community pages, and nothing else, then the correct method would be to create Categories in phpBB, and not create groups, is that correct?

And then the Groups in phpBB would simply be like a bonus, where only the members of a particular phpBB group would have access to what might be "private" categories which would be inaccessible by other forum members.

The best comparision for an animal forum I think would be dependant on whether your forum is for one animal type or multiple?

One option would be;
You have a forum on animals and you have cat owners and dog owners and chicken owners.
You could setup categories for Cats, Dogs, Chickens.
Under each category you could setup a forum for each type, so Category Cats, might have forums for long haired, short haired, pedigree, hairless, special needs, seniors.
Category dogs might have forums for large breeds, small breeds, special needs, seniors.
By breaking the animal type into categories, you can have specific forums for each type of animal that would have an entire group on Facebook.
Groups = Forums in this case.

Another option could be;
Using no categories, and simply creating forums for each animal type, but being a little clearer with the names.
Cats - Seniors, Dogs - Seniors, Cats - Special Needs, Dogs - Special Needs.
You could do this with a single animal forum too - Title the Forum "All About Dogs" and then the forum titles could be Large, Small, Special Needs etc
In that case, groups would = forums still, but the layout would be less complex as a single animal forum would need far less complicating!
The great thing about phpBB is that you choose how you want to lay it out and people will find their way around! I promise.
Please refrain from PM'ing me for support unless I specifically ask you to.......

Helpful Pages: ~ [Styles FAQ] ~ [Styles User Guide] ~ [Styles Submission Policy]
My Site: [C1 Web Design]
| Mum | Web Designer | Airsoft Player| Business Owner|
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

Just read your post. Thanks much for the suggestions. I have actually been implementing the individual forums option, and have opted not to use the categories option, but will review your suggestions a bit more and make changes if I find them necessary.

thanks again. :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”