Hit with Tremendous Spam

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
man_o_man
Name: Manny Manapat

Re: Hit with Tremendous Spam

Post by man_o_man »

Random American wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:54 pm I don't think any modification to quick tools would make up for lack of anti-spam measures.
but modifications to quick tools would make it much easier and faster to delete the posts and the spammers as well.
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

that post of mine (the one that says " please bear with us....etc." that I copied here was made for the members of my FB groups and community pages, of which I have over a hundred, all dedicated to animal welfare, to hopefully convince them to join my board without fear of having to bear with so much spam should they join my board.

Apparently, there are some here who are quite brainless and make idiotic conclusions. I just turned 72 years old, but I will bet that I would beat the ones here with such negative conclusions in any IQ test, so put your money where your mouths are.
Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

man_o_man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 am Apparently, there are some here who are quite brainless and make idiotic conclusions. I just turned 72 years old, but I will bet that I would beat the ones here with such negative conclusions in any IQ test, so put your money where your mouths are.
Apologies, there was no disrespect intended I guess we just weren't sure what was going on.

I hope the spam issue has been solved and It's very cool to know you have a site dedicated to animal wellfare. Something I also feel strongly about (I support the RSPCA in Australia).

Let's hope you can keep the spammers at bay from now on :)
Highly-customized PhpBB board voted as one of the most influential trading sites in the world: forex-station.com 💬
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

man_o_man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 am Apparently, there are some here who are quite brainless and make idiotic conclusions.
the conclusion was that you probably copy-pasted your content here, and this particular bit ('Kindly bear with us...') made no sense when posted here. It seems that the conclusion of phpBB community was correct, unlike yours.
Forex Station wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:58 am Apologies, there was no disrespect intended I guess we just weren't sure what was going on.
@Forex Station - you kind of implied that you apologise not only for your own posts, which is inappropriate IMO given the OP's insults towards the community
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

man_o_man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:37 am
Random American wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:54 pm I don't think any modification to quick tools would make up for lack of anti-spam measures.
but modifications to quick tools would make it much easier and faster to delete the posts and the spammers as well.
What type of modifications are you suggesting?
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE AND IS DEPRECIATED!
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

I thought it was another Trump topic with the word "Tremendous" in the title.

The opening post comes across as someone telling us this very forum has been spammed, someone claiming to have a better IQ than other posters should have known that if he is copying a post from his forum over to this forum - he needs to use the quote box,

The "brainless and idiotic" conclusions are just light hearted sarcasm - which if you are honest, you can see how the opening post may attract sarcasm.

Back on topic...
Random American wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm
man_o_man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:37 am but modifications to quick tools would make it much easier and faster to delete the posts and the spammers as well.
What type of modifications are you suggesting?
My guess for posts...
If you click "move posts" it takes you to the MCP where you can read the posts and tick the little box on the right side to select the ones you want to move - this would enable deleting posts quickly without having to confirm every single one.

For topics...
Maybe something that works in a similar way, little tick boxes down the side of the topic list - then a delete selected button.

However, certainly not worth implementing into the core and I doubt many extension authors would spend their time on it (not for free anyhow) because if people use a good Q&A and update it regularly they can avoid most spam, there are also a few useful extensions out there, one that springs to mind is HifiKabin's Obscure Registration Code extension, at the end of the day though, taking the time to prevent spam in the first place will save a lot of time and messing around at a later date.

There's a tremendous guide over at HifiKabin: https://www.phpbb.hifikabin.me.uk/viewt ... ?f=8&p=595 which has a few tips and is well worth a read.
Boom.
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

man_o_man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:34 am apparently, all of these spammers are in the Registered Users group.

What happens exactly when a user is removed from this group - where is the user sent, is the user deleted from the board?

and what happens to the user's post(s) when the user is deleted from the group?

I am afraid to try it because the user might be deleted from the board but his post(s) might be retained, so I need to know exactly what actually happens.
That user just won't be able to access anything if they attempt to log in. The Registered Users group is the baseline for board-wide permissions when it comes to regular users. Removing a user from that group won't delete the account nor would it delete their posts. That account would just be completely useless in accessing the board as it would have less permissions than guests. Doing that won't assist in spam clean up. Just delete the spam accounts and all posts via the ACP.
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE AND IS DEPRECIATED!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

man_o_man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:37 am
The idea is to prevent the disease, not improve a cure for it. A good, non-Googleable Q&A, combined with the NRU group, will do that.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

Is there an existing way to delete all the spammers along with their posts? There seems to be none, but I am asking just in case I just can't see the option to do this. I have spent several days deleting what I can delete, and still have so much to delete.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Have you ever tried using the search function? The subject has been dealt with until exhaustion.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Cerca trova Knowledge Base - How to clean up a board hit by spam.

But, first & foremost, you need to change the captcha you’re using, do it now or you’ll keep getting hammered, the one you’re using now got busted ten or more years ago.

Try Knowledge Base - How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA..
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Mick wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 amCerca trova
Nice try, correctly is chi cerca trova BTW. :D

he who seeks finds
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

man_o_man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:34 am What happens exactly when a user is removed from this group - where is the user sent, is the user deleted from the board?

and what happens to the user's post(s) when the user is deleted from the group?
Removing a user from a group accomplishes nothing as far as removing the spam goes.

ACP >> Users & Groups >> Prune Users Link on the left.

Under the big text box for selecting multiple users click "find a member". In the pop up box put the IP into the field for "Posted from IP/domain:" and submit.

Scroll to bottom of next page and click the link "mark all" and then hit the button "select marked".

You should now have list of spammers in the big text box. :D Under options set delete posts to yes and set the account to deactivate or delete. If you leave it as deactivate they can't reuse that email address again.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

the Prune Users function did the job for me.

thank you.
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

Marek Muc wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:47 pm
man_o_man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 am Apparently, there are some here who are quite brainless and make idiotic conclusions.
the conclusion was that you probably copy-pasted your content here, and this particular bit ('Kindly bear with us...') made no sense when posted here. It seems that the conclusion of phpBB community was correct, unlike yours.
Forex Station wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:58 am Apologies, there was no disrespect intended I guess we just weren't sure what was going on.
@Forex Station - you kind of implied that you apologise not only for your own posts, which is inappropriate IMO given the OP's insults towards the community
Marek Muc, I wan't insulting the community, and was insulting back the ones who insulted me to begin with. Did you expect me to just sit back and relax as if no insults were being thrown at me? If that is your nature, it certainly isn't mine.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”