Unsure on the practicality of my idea - Forum integration

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
SOWReddog

Unsure on the practicality of my idea - Forum integration

Post by SOWReddog »

Hi, looking for some advice on whether my idea is practical. I'm currently making an online turn based game for around 30 players. I started this about 8 years ago and have picked it back up during lockdown as something to do. I made a VERY simple forum for the game, most of the communication should be done "in character" so it's really just an admin function and a way of reporting bugs or feature requests etc. However, the login script for the site I used is now not playing nice and it's a bit clunky and probably not up to current security standards.

As a result I am wondering how feasible it is to use PHPBB as the registration and login system, giving me the full functionality required for the forums, but to also use as a portal into the game. What I'd need to be able to do is link the phpbb database in some way to the game db, enabling the admin to set individual users to specific characters in the game, and then use that to validate what they saw on screen in reference to their character and their location etc. I've seen various topics on integration and single signon etc, but not much around the use case I think I'm presenting where each character would need almost individual permissions?

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments as to the feasibility of what I'm trying to do?
scooterbird
Name: Steve

Re: Unsure on the practicality of my idea - Forum integration

Post by scooterbird »

I'm a bit hazy on the details of what you're proposing, but I would think it would depend on the mechanics of the game. If it was primarily communication-based -- such as Diplomacy -- then I would think that perhaps even an extension could be written which could handle the ancillary aspects (in the example case, unit movement and conflict, which is fairly easy to resolve.) If it was more involved, I would think that the amount of modification you'd have to do to the base code would make it just as efficient to write everything from scratch.
THE SCOOTERBIRD

"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings."
SOWReddog

Post by SOWReddog »

Thanks for the reply. In fact, it's not too far removed in some ways from Diplomacy, except amped up on steroids in terms of the "rules" and the details involved. I realise now, what I wrote wasn't the clearest and could be taken to mean I want to tailor the forum to individual users.

Let me give more explanation of what it is I *think* I'm trying to do.

I want a forum, which would have permission groups like any normal forum, giving users access to specific fora and topics etc. Nothing ground breaking there. However, in the same way as the header above this forum has various non forum pages, I want to display game pages, so an orders page, or a messages page, which would not be related to the forum operation in any way, except that the user would have used the forum login to gain access to the site, and from the UID of the user, I'd pick up what character he was playing and so on. All the game code would essentially be external to the forum, I simply want to use the forum to authenticate users and link to the game code. Obviously I'd need some forum code per page rendered, to track session etc but I believe that's possible from what I have seen elsewhere?

Does that make it clearer? Or just more opaque:? :lol:
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

Slightly moreso, but I'm not certain my answer would change...

It sounds as if the forum would be embedded in a larger game construct with non-forum pages, which would conceivably be possible...indeed, there are non-forum pages here, as you've pointed out. I'm afraid I don't have enough coding experience to give suggestions on how to implement that; I'm a network engineer by trade and only dabble with server administration and coding, enough to keep things going...

My suggestion would be to lurk in Area 51 on this site. That is the place for experimental code and tryouts of various upcoming versions. What you would be looking for is how phpBB makes system calls to other code objects and constructs on the same server -- those would be the areas of integration you're looking for.

I'm sorry I can't give any more specific advice on the matter. Good luck to you.
THE SCOOTERBIRD

"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings."
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

SOWReddog wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:48 am
Hi, looking for some advice on whether my idea is practical. I'm currently making an online turn based game for around 30 players. I started this about 8 years ago and have picked it back up during lockdown as something to do. I made a VERY simple forum for the game, most of the communication should be done "in character" so it's really just an admin function and a way of reporting bugs or feature requests etc. However, the login script for the site I used is now not playing nice and it's a bit clunky and probably not up to current security standards.

As a result I am wondering how feasible it is to use PHPBB as the registration and login system, giving me the full functionality required for the forums, but to also use as a portal into the game. What I'd need to be able to do is link the phpbb database in some way to the game db, enabling the admin to set individual users to specific characters in the game, and then use that to validate what they saw on screen in reference to their character and their location etc. I've seen various topics on integration and single signon etc, but not much around the use case I think I'm presenting where each character would need almost individual permissions?

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments as to the feasibility of what I'm trying to do?
Not sure about the current version of PHPBB - but with PHPBB2 this would be pretty simple. Just be sure to use version 2.0.24 or higher
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Not sure about the current version of PHPBB - but with PHPBB2 this would be pretty simple. Just be sure to use version 2.0.24 or higher
If you can find a host running a really old version of php to support it.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and, there is no version of phpbb 2 higher than 2.0.24 and even 24 was not an official release.
if you need more info about phpbb2 check here:
http://phpbb2refugees.com/index.php

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

2.0.24 from phpbb2 refugees should be fine for him. Who cares about trying to find a host – should be easy enough for him to self host. Also there are topics on the refugees where the phpbb2 can be ran on higher versions of PHP if one wants to make the effort.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Community Team Member

May I please remind everyone that phpBB 2.0.x was depreciated many many years ago and it is not recommended that it is used in a live environment.

If you choose to do so please note that we can not offer any support.
SOWReddog

Post by SOWReddog »

Yeah, lol, thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll pass. I've already got one creaking mess of a code base, I don't need to be looking into something that's deprecated some time ago.

I guess from the lack of "it's really easy just do x" type answers, that I should spend some time playing around and see if I can figure a way, and/or drop the idea.

Thanks all.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”