Question about gallery integration

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
uncle_errol

Question about gallery integration

Post by uncle_errol »

Hey firstly thanks to the developers for keeping at it. I've seen this software float about for years! Awesome!

Second, I'm developing a rudimentary dynamic gallery and I'd love to integrate forum commenting elements into the individual image pages, obviously connected to a main forum. Does phpBB have standard options for this and what would that be called? If not, could it be done using phpBB as a base? If any of you could help me with the right terminology I'd be able to find my way from there I think. Any tips would be massively appreciated!

I have an intense background in graphic based C# and python but but I'm fairly new to website development. I'm learning as I go.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Re: Question about gallery integration

Post by JLA »

Smartor did this years ago with his Photo Album Version 2.0

We've modified it extensively, works quite well and offers the features you speak of and more. Think Smartor's mod was ported to PHPBB3 at some point in the past.
uncle_errol

Post by uncle_errol »

Thank you JLA! I will go check it out immediately.
uncle_errol

Post by uncle_errol »

Hey, I just checked out what you meant. Smartor's extention was modified into phpBB Gallery by a dude called nickvergessen and then by stananasov.

viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2273501&start=1260

Unfortunately the extension is fairly old and the most recent stable version failed to execute properly through my phpBB (some kind of cache error). He is busy with an updated version though.

I was wondering if it was possible to just automatically make 'pages' per image, or maybe embed some of phpBB's code into a page. Is there such thing as using phpBB's topic architecture as a commenting system on other pages?
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Thanks for the info. Remember reading some years ago that someone had made an attempt to port Smartor's Photo Album phpbb mod to phpbb3 but didn't follow the effort much. I think someone contacted us regarding one of those efforts due to the fact we had made significant improvements to the phpbb2 version but those involved in one of the ports never followed up back with us.

Smartor's original mod was good but was limited as well - especially for scaling. I think our gallery has over 5 million pictures now and the original mod was never designed for that amount of content so we made some big changes such as caching, etc. We also added a search function which was not included in the original mod. Recently we brought the mod to be mobile friendly consistent with the rest of our site. Still some things to tidy up and additional caching work to be consistent with the same caching that we use with our attachment mod modifications. I think Smartor's version was 2.0.52 and we are now up to 2.0.56 in our development.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”