Forum "webring"?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
scooterbird
Name: Steve

Forum "webring"?

Post by scooterbird »

Greetings, all. I was asked something recently by someone in my company which I didn't know the answer to, so I thought I'd open it as a point of discussion here.

I have found other forums out there other than my own which I have joined, and there's been some discussion of mutually directing traffic to each other, based on whatever criteria we determine would be best. Now there's a straightforward but inelegant way to do this: simply open a forum or a topic within a forum labeled "Other Forums We Like" and list each one separately...but my employee brought up the old concept of webrings from the 2000s. They used a separate bit of code and graphics on each member website which would brand the "alliance" in a certain fashion, place the members in a specific order which was easily navigable and dynamically adjustable, and provide features like a directory or a random page.

Does anyone know of any features like this, perhaps some that can be added with an extension?
THE SCOOTERBIRD

"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings."
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Forum "webring"?

Post by KevC »

I suspect webrings died out because......why would I want to drive traffic to someone elses site instead of mine?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Yes. It is much easier to have a category for Other Forums, and use Link Forums with the URL of each of your group.
Kind of like the Area 51 link forum in our General category.
scooterbird
Name: Steve

Post by scooterbird »

KevC wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:31 am
I suspect webrings died out because......why would I want to drive traffic to someone elses site instead of mine?
Well, I didn't ask "why", I asked if this existed. The answer "no" is sufficient.
THE SCOOTERBIRD

"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings."

Return to “phpBB Discussion”