Social Network Integration

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
man_o_man

Social Network Integration

Post by man_o_man »

Has anyone here ever had any success in integrating this phpBB board with any social network, and if so, which social network please, and did you simply disable the forum portion-section of the social network?

or has anyone successfully integrated this phpBB board with a wordpress social network theme, which seems to be the last remaining option since - I continue to wonder with so many thousands of installations of phpBB - there seems to be no plans at all to create a full blown social network using phpBB. Such a pity, having to resort back to wordpress to create a full blown social network site.
ssl
Name: Fred

Re: Social Network Integration

Post by ssl »

Hi
You ask to something like this at the bottom of this forum? http://forums.phpbb-fr.com
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

man_o_man wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:08 am
Has anyone here ever had any success in integrating this phpBB board with any social network, and if so, which social network please, and did you simply disable the forum portion-section of the social network?
Can you elaborate what you consider as integration?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Need help with styling or want me to port a style to 3.3.x etc. contact me here or here.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

man_o_man wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:29 am
has anyone successfully integrated this phpBB board with a wordpress social network theme
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-w3all- ... tegration/
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

by Integration I mean removing or disabling the default forum in the social network and replacing it with a phpBB board forum.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

man_o_man wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:34 am
by Integration I mean removing or disabling the default forum in the social network and replacing it with a phpBB board forum.
I'm guessing by social network you mean facebook? I don't think facebook or any other platform would allow to do that. The only way of integration i see is the other way around. There are already extensions that add different kind of aspects of social networks to phpbb like logins/sharing etc. Facebook also have different kind of social plugins you can add to your webpage https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins

You can use this extension https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/pages to build your social network around phpbb but it won't be as simple as using wordpress and changing some options in the admin panel. PHPBB is not a CMS like wordpress

You can post in the Wanted section that you want extension to turn phpbb to social network type site but that will cost you a lot. Don't see anyone doing such a complicated and time consuming task for free.

Need help with styling or want me to port a style to 3.3.x etc. contact me here or here.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

I am not referring to Facebook, BUT I am referring to any social network that I can use to offer some features that Facebook also offers. In other words, I want to take away animal welfare advocates from Facebook and make them start posting and sharing in MY social network. The reason for this is that Facebook's attitude has become absolutely horrible, acting as if they control everyone's life. They have deleted quite a number of my groups that have taken years for me to build a following for, with members numbering in the thousands, and I am so sick and tired of working so hard to build groups just for damned facebook to delete the groups just because a Facebook user did not like a post or posts by a member or by multiple members, and they never provide a specific reason except to state "in violation of our community standards". I am so utterly sick and tired of them, and even our very own President Duterte here in the Philppines just issued a stern warning to Facebook just today, after Facebook deleted several groups associated with the Philippine Military and the Philippine National Police. So I posted that President Duterte had warned Facebook, and of course Facebook deleted that specific post of mine immediately.

Millions are disgusted and sick and tired of facebook, but obviously they have not found a better alternative.

this is why I am asking if anyone has integrated his phpBB board with a (already existing) social network, so that it does not have to be created from scratch. There are social networks aplenty, but most of them are built on wordpress, and the ones built on php are terribly ugly-looking, like WoWonder, or Sngine, the 2 most popular on Theme Forest, and I bought licenses for both of them just to be terribly disappointed with their front end appearance. There are many ready and beautiful html templates offered in Theme Forest, such as Socialite, Pitnik (my favorite so far), Vikinger, etc., but they are not yet full applications, and still need a front end and back end developer to customize them into full blown applications. And this is also why I asked if anyone has been able to integrate his phpBB board with a Wordpress-based social network, which is what I am considering now since I either am not happy with what is out there for a low price, or the ones that look really good are too expensive for me to try out and to give up in case I am not happy with them. Such a pity that there is no php-based social network that can compete with Facebook when, if you really think about it, should be quite easy.
Last edited by man_o_man on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

Now I have a clear picture of what you want. So the odds of someone that has done it (someone probably did) that would reply here are pretty slim tbh.

I would say your best bet is to ask in Wanted forum to help you with integration of a social network script of your choosing with phpbb. Or you can resort to using WordPress with buddypress plugin and phpbb plugin that Mick linked here.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”