Can BOTS see members IP address?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
focp

Can BOTS see members IP address?

Post by focp »

reading the purpose of this extension got me thinking, can bots (google/bing etc) see the ips of any forum members when they crawl the forum ?
not sure how this pertains the the data privacy act if this is so ?
i've tried searching here on PHPBB and with google, but failed to find any releant info on the subject.
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david63

Re: [3.2][3.3][RC] IP Address Deletion

Post by david63 »

focp wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:04 pm
can bots (google/bing etc) see the ips of any forum members when they crawl the forum ?
A bot can only see what it has permission to see (assuming that you use the phpBB permission system to control bot activity) - so basically if a guest cannot see an IP address of a member then a bot should not be able to see it.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
focp

Re: [3.2][3.3][RC] IP Address Deletion

Post by focp »

thanks,
permissions for bots are set as- profile/can view profiles/memberlist/onlinelist all set to never,
so the bots should be unable to see any members info, other than their username, as far as i can see,
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Can BOTS see members IP address?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I don't think anyone other than admins and moderators can see any IP addresses of any other members.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Can BOTS see members IP address?

Post by thecoalman »

If you want to test what bots can see install a user agent switcher on your browser. There should be extension for this on any browser. Clear cookies, browsing data etc and switch to the bots user agent.

With one exception the only place I'm aware of the IP is displayed is on pages only accessible to moderators and admins AFAIK. The exception is the who's online list and that uses switch:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF user_row.USER_IP -->  //html with IP  <!-- ENDIF -->
The php script is going to determine if the user has permissions, moderator or admin and will set that variable to display it if they have permissions to see it.

I do not know what extension is being discussed but if it were used to display the IP on posts for example the same thing can be done there.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”