Decision impact forum

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
osicka
Name: Tom Osicka

Decision impact forum

Post by osicka »

Hallo,
I’m still thinking about another usage of phpbb forum, for example for political parties, flat owners, medical information, any public decision or other purposes. This forum could be based on topics with fixed structure and non emotional multidimensional rating of posts. Every impact topic for one suggestion should consist of :
Image Advantages
Image Disadvantages
Image Questions and answers

Post in these parts could be rated by these attributes:
Image Stick to the topic: yes / no
Image comprehensibility: yes / no
Image Confirmation: readers confirms or not confirms statements in this post. Only this rating will be visible to other readers.

Administrator of those forum could change these rating attributes, also could change algorithm of creating rating amount from rating attributes. I expect, that in default setting the most valued attribute will be confirmation. Posts in these topic will be sorted by this rating to ensure, that best posts will be in topic on front positions. I think, this structure will lead to well-arranged discussion with thousands of users.

Important tool for orientation in discussion will be impact dashboard with few subjects of best rated posts. For example somethig like this:

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------Why implement this plugin ----------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|.......................Image..................|.......................Image............................|
| :D Larger usage of PHPbb forums ......| :( Too much work .................................|
| :D Better orientation in voting topic ..| :( Financing ........................................|
| :D Better world............................| :( Hackers interest ................................|
|.............................................Image .......................................................|
| :? Will clasic forum be disabled ? ........................................................ :D No |
| :? Can I switch those forum to chronological ordered forum?.......... :D Yes, click here|

Is this realistic in phpBB?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Decision impact forum

Post by Brf »

A topic is meant to be a conversation.
osicka wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:10 pm
Posts in these topic will be sorted by this rating to ensure, that best posts will be in topic on front positions.
If you are re-ordering topics by an arbitrary criteria, it will be impossible to follow the conversation.
osicka

Impossible to follow the conversation

Post by osicka »

Brf wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:33 pm
If you are re-ordering topics by an arbitrary criteria, it will be impossible to follow the conversation.
Thank you for reply. "Decision impact dashboard" with arbitrary criteria will be just another view for classic conversation. This view will be set as default for easy orientation in topic, but you could switch to chronological view with all posts.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

So it would be another "Sort by" in the footer of the topic: Most relevant.
osicka

Post by osicka »

Brf wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:52 pm
So it would be another "Sort by" in the footer of the topic: Most relevant.
Yes. With obligatory sub-topic for filling post to right dashboard part.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

So you would need to check every single post on the site every day and decide where it should go in the list? Good luck keeping up with that when you have even 50 posts a day let alone more.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

osicka wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:59 pm
With obligatory sub-topic for filling post to right dashboard part.
I have no clue what that means.
PhpBB does not have "sub-topics" or "dashboards".
osicka

Check every single post on the site

Post by osicka »

KevC wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:00 pm
So you would need to check every single post on the site every day and decide where it should go in the list? Good luck keeping up with that when you have even 50 posts a day let alone more.
No. Author of post will fit post to subforum! Other users will rate this post also by criterion "Stick to the (sub)topic". Wrong suptopic will lead to bottom position. You could see political discussions, I thing "Stick to the topic" is real problem.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Check every single post on the site

Post by Brf »

osicka wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:11 pm
Other users will rate this post
Those systems never work. Users get into a ratings-war and purposely rate other users' posts low. This type of system only works when specific moderators are granted privilege to rate.
osicka

Post by osicka »

Brf wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:04 pm

PhpBB does not have "sub-topics" or "dashboards".
That's a shame, the forum would then have more use. Who wants to read dozens of posts in a discussion?
osicka

Post by osicka »

Brf wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:14 pm
Those systems never work. Users get into a ratings-war and purposely rate other users' posts low. This type of system only works when specific moderators are granted privilege to rate.
You certainly have more experience with discussions than I do. It depends on the philosophy of a particular forum, the quality of the moderator and also respect for the authorities. I'm afraid the "I know best" approach is becoming more widespread. People around me have no respect for authorities. Conflict in discussions seems fine to me if it does not go to the personal or emotional level. Much would depend on the evaluation criteria, I'm not saying that I estimated them exactly in order to achieve a rational discussion. Therefore, I suggest the openness of these attributes.
david63

Post by david63 »

osicka wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:17 pm
Who wants to read dozens of posts in a discussion?
Most people - that's why they join discussion boards
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Random American

Post by Random American »

Brf wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:14 pm
Maybe that can include upstanding members of the community who won't pull that crap, but I mainly agree, some users will effectively "review bomb" a post by someone they do not like.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
osicka

Post by osicka »

david63 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:41 pm
osicka wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:17 pm
Who wants to read dozens of posts in a discussion?
Most people - that's why they join discussion boards
Thank you for reply. Ambition of this forum is influence people, which normaly do not reads forums. Primarily politics and managers with assistants creating SWOT analysis. Also other people which have no patience to read all forum.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Good luck but I can't see that working at all. If they don't like forums why would they even sign up to begin with?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “phpBB Discussion”