Restoring backup - MySQL 5.7 to 8.0

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Heo32

Restoring backup - MySQL 5.7 to 8.0

Post by Heo32 »

I have a vanilla installation of phpBB 3.3 with no add-ons and the default theme and language set. In the future I'm planning on making a backup through the ACP while running MySQL Community Server 5.7 with PHP 7.4 and phpBB 3.3.3 (or higher), then re-building my website from scratch using MySQL Community Server 8.0 for a fresh start.

Once MySQL Community Server 8.0 is running, I'll install a new full package of phpBB 3.3.3 (or higher). The backup file, only 2 MB in size, will then be placed into the /store/ folder and restored through the ACP.

Does anyone expect there to be any problems doing this?
Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare • Updated: November 7, 2020

Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
stevemaury wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Heo32

Re: Restoring backup - MySQL 5.7 to 8.0

Post by Heo32 »

Over 80 views and 0 replies.

Maybe no one here has ever done this before, or doesn't know the answer.

I'll give it a bit more time. After which, I'll post this question in the Support Forum since I am asking for feedback regarding the compatibility between two different MySQL versions and a phpBB backup for restoration.

Personally, I don't anticipate there to be any issue with this, but I would like to see what someone that has experience with this has to say before I give it a shot myself.
Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare • Updated: November 7, 2020

Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
stevemaury wrote:
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

should not be any problem with restoring the database to the new mysql version as far as I know.

curious why you say
Heo32 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:14 am
then re-building my website from scratch using MySQL Community Server 8.0 for a fresh start.
what type of website do you have?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Heo32 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:57 pm
Maybe no one here has ever done this before, or doesn't know the answer
Probably, I saw one instance where 8.0 gave a problem during a conversion and the OP reverted to 5.7. You could always try it on a local server.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:12 am
should not be any problem with restoring the database to the new mysql version as far as I know.
After installing a new version of Wampserver, I forgot that MYSQL 8 was the (new) default (and only) installed version. Only a few days later did I realise (by accident) that I didn't have 5.7 anymore.
I've since added 5.7 just in case but am still using 8 (and all my 3.3.x database backups were imported into 8 and I haven't encountered any problem up to now).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Lumpy Burgertushie,

Thanks. I'm waiting for phpBB 3.3.3 to release due to this.

The type of website I have is my portfolio. It has my resume on it and all the fancy stuff employers would be interested in. The forums I have are dead, but I use it for personal reasons, mainly for documenting and archiving all sorts of things. Employers may use it as well if they like. That was it's original intention after all, but most stick to the traditional methods, which is perfectly understandable. I still put it to good use though.

Mick,

Good idea. Something like Xampp.

warmweer,

Thanks for that info. I'm glad it worked for you.

stevemaury wrote:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”