Would the phpBB team consider adding a wiki page showing Compatibility?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
P_I

Would the phpBB team consider adding a wiki page showing Compatibility?

Post by P_I »

For MediaWiki it is easy to check their wiki, Compatibility - MediaWiki and see an overview of the software required on the server to run MediaWiki.

For phpBB this information is scattered in a variety of places, release announcements and in the documentation area. I couple of places that I've found, Would the phpBB team consider adding some similar to MediaWIki's charts to the phpBB wiki?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Would the phpBB team consider adding a wiki page showing Compatibility?

Post by Mick »

Maybe you could write something yourself then submit it to the KB via a team member for inclusion?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
P_I

Post by P_I »

Mick wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:25 am
Maybe you could write something yourself then submit it to the KB via a team member for inclusion?
Thanks Mick. I've already started some efforts to hopefully improve the information available in the phpBB wiki, i.e. https://wiki.phpbb.com/Category:Releases_phpBB_3.3. The phpBB wiki is an under utilized resource in my view. I might take you up on your suggestion, although it might better be served via the wiki rather than a KB article.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

You really should not add it to the wiki, but like Mick said use the kb instead (Or the user documentation).
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
david63

Post by david63 »

The current Wiki is titled "Development Wiki" so perhaps there is a need for a "Production Wiki" (or some other name).

For instance the Release Highlights section is not really anything to do with development as the development team already know what is in the release as they are the ones having made the changes.

Perhaps it may be an idea to move some items from the KB to a Wiki
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
P_I

Post by P_I »

david63 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:48 pm
Perhaps it may be an idea to move some items from the KB to a Wiki
I would definitely support that idea as it would allow the phpBB community to crowd-source and update information more quickly.

The Knowledge Base (KB) articles are very helpful and I often link them into support posts where appropriate. But I've never really understood the process to update them or add to them.

Updating or adding to a wiki is easy because MediaWiki (the wiki software) is well known and understood. Wiki articles are easy to maintain, and to fix errors and omissions or update article links to connect article together. MediaWiki provides control on who can edit pages and protection mechanisms for specific pages so that only authorized editors can make changes to those articles. Wiki articles themselves carry an edit history, so essentially act as source control and revision history of themselves.

As part of a couple of communities I'm involved with we also have companion wikis that are used to gather the 'best practices' and collective knowledge of the forum posts. And search in a wiki is way easier than searching in phpBB.

Added: I've got lots of experience running and maintaining a wiki and would gladly volunteer my time and effort to give back to the community to implement something like this.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It looks like you’ve got yourself a job!
P_I

Post by P_I »

Since this might be considered 'development of phpBB', maybe we should continue the idea in Area51, so I started A 'Production' wikl? - Development Discussion Board.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The main thing is that we want to limit the locations of where information can be found. As such, we are working on moving things over from the wiki to or the KB (which is hard to edit for non teammembers, but you are free to send information to a teammember), or the user guide (official documentation) or the developer documentation. Both the user guide as the developer documentation can be found (and edited) at http://github.com/phpbb/documentation
Anything new, should be preferbly be added to the user guide (If it is important for user documentation) or to the developer document (For DEV related things).
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

david63

Post by david63 »

But surely that would be the point of having a Wiki - everything would be in one place where it would be more accessible (currently there is the KB, some information in the Development Wiki, links to the installation/requirement documentation)

A Wiki is more user friendly and would become more inclusive as members would be able to contribute far easier than the current system which is anything but inclusive.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Why Area51? Personally I hardly ever go there and I’m not certain a wiki is the right tool, they always seem too fiddly to me. Docs written with a decent word processor (word) and files saved as pdf are easy to maintain, print and download for users . Why not have everything in one place with a proper docs forum on .com? The KB is an ideal tool for support when it’s working.
P_I

Post by P_I »

Mick wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:18 pm
Docs written with a decent word processor (word) and files saved as pdf are easy to maintain, print and download for users .
For each one, I'll will give you a qualified yes. But what happens when they become a collection of documents? When you don't know exactly what you are looking for how easy it is to search out the information?
Mick wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:18 pm
The KB is an ideal tool for support when it’s working.
Agreed. But ask yourself a few questions. First and foremost, the value of the phpBB • Knowledge Base is the information that it contains.

But is easy to maintain? Is it easy to keep up-to-date? Is it easy to use, i.e. search and find something in the Knowledge Base?

If not, why not? Could it be the underlying technology use to maintain/update/generate these useful pages? Is there a better way?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Time was a user could write a KB and it was submitted for approval or not. Anyone, team member or user, could edit a KB which then went in to the queue for approval again but that hasn’t worked for a long time. I don’t see searching being an issue as parts of the KB are searchable and pdf documentation can be made searchable. Anyway, word docs can be locked from editing. As you’ve realised I’m not a wiki fan for technical docs.

As an aside theres a need for a documentation team, solely responsible for the upkeep of the archives. They could have their own forum where users could contact them to discuss whatever about the docs.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I am not very knowledgeable about wikis. the main thing I have never trusted about them is that anyone can add, edit the
information in them. If you have to have someone to check all entries for accuracy and approve them before they are made available to the public, then that is better. If that is the case then why is it any better than the current KB?

I do agree that the KB needs a lot of work just to clean it up . out of date info, incorrect info, etc. etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Paul

Post by Paul »

david63 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:00 pm
A Wiki is more user friendly and would become more inclusive as members would be able to contribute far easier than the current system which is anything but inclusive.
Both the user guide and the development documentation can be contributed to via github. While this does require a review, it also makes it that the quality is checked prior publication.
Our goal is to limit the total locations where information can be found, this being the user documentation here in phpbb.com, the developer documentation on area51, and the KB for specific tasks.
Updating the KB to allow users to edit it as well is on our list to do, however there are currently other projects as well that are more important.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”