Stop certain links

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Cliff Evans

Stop certain links

Post by Cliff Evans »

Is there a way to stop certain external links being posted in a topic?
Last edited by thecoalman on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB discussion.
david63

Re: Stop certain links

Post by david63 »

Not within the core of phpBB - you would need an extension and also need to be a bit more specific as to what links and why/what it is that you are trying to achieve.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Thanks David. I am trying to stop links to certain individual websites being posted.
david63

Post by david63 »

Cliff Evans wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:09 am
Thanks David. I am trying to stop links to certain individual websites being posted.
Unless you have a definitive list then it would be almost impossible to do what you are asking - and if you do have a list what happens when somebody uses a new one.

You could perhaps try using the Banned Words option - not sure if it would work with a link or make a rule that such links are not allowed.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Cliff Evans wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:59 am
Is there a way to stop certain external links being posted in a thread?
Not specifically in a thread topic/post but there's Prime Links which has a forbidden domain section.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Thanks for all your replies. The Prime Links extension looks interesting.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:20 am
Unless you have a definitive list then it would be almost impossible to do what you are asking - and if you do have a list what happens when somebody uses a new one.
You would whitelist domains instead. This could be set up as part of moderators duties where they approve domains. This is feature I have always wanted. Bonus for being able to re-validate them after X years.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

thecoalman wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:55 pm
You would whitelist domains instead.
Makes little difference - you still need to know in advance which domains are good/bad and there will always be false positives/negatives
David
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:17 pm
Makes little difference - you still need to know in advance which domains are good/bad and there will always be false positives/negatives
Why would you manually create a list when it could be done programmatically? I would suggest that such an extension or modification would simply detect new domains when a link is posted and you have moderator/admin panel to approve once, deny once, approve permanently or deny permanently. You would actually be creating whitelist and black list. New domain that is posted could be hidden with "link approval pending". There would be boatload of them to start with but it would thin out eventually on most forums. You could even provide default list that would include common domains like google, youtube etc.

If you have forum like phpbb.com it may not be practical since so many domains are being posted but that is going to be exception instead of the rule.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

thecoalman wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:50 pm
Why would you manually create a list when it could be done programmatically?
That'd require moderators knowing what they do: adding a domain literally without wildcards is prone to inefficient lists and checks against such a list - in the end it has to be consolidated every now and then: think about
  • google.it vs. google.ca vs. google.co.uk
  • gmail.com vs. googlemail.com
  • en.wikipedia.com vs. ja.wikipedia.com
  • youtube.com vs. youtu.be vs. m.youtube.com vs. youtubekids.com
Also: one could use free redirector services to evade being recognized by domain, i.e. https://anonym.to/?https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2574671 will work fine should the domain phpbb.com be forbidden.
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10

Return to “phpBB Discussion”