Document Discussion

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
david63

Document Discussion

Post by david63 »

Can I ask what has happened to this discussion?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Random American

Re: Document Discussion

Post by Random American »

david63 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 am
Can I ask what has happened to this discussion?
I was going to ask the same thing. When clicking on it in my browser history, I get "the requested topic does not exist." I think they deleted it entirely. Why, I don't know.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

More than likely it was (and probably this topic will be) moved to a private forum. They, team members, do that when they don't want dirty laundry aired. A form of censorship really. :roll:
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Random American

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:05 pm
More than likely it was (and probably this topic will be) moved to a private forum. They, team members, do that when they don't want dirty laundry aired. A form of censorship really. :roll:
No, they deleted it. My post count went down and I get "the requested topic does not exist," not "you are not authorized to read this forum." They just permanently deleted the whole thing instead of merely moving it.

As for censorship, I agree. It's shady and if the topic was such a problem, a lock would have sufficed.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

The topic was indeed deleted. This was however not a conscious decision by the team and certainly not to hide or delete any form of discussion. We're currently looking at the technical means of restoring the topic and its posts. ;)

I would very much like to ask you all to stay kind and civil and not engage in any form of wild assumptions.
Random American

I guess that makes sense. I keep on getting a 503 server unavailable error.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Random American wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:43 pm
That is actually unrelated, as I was fixing another bug we had on the website.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
Random American

Paul wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:45 pm
Random American wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:43 pm
That is actually unrelated, as I was fixing another bug we had on the website.
Thanks for the update Paul. :)
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

The topic was deleted by the author, I would assume as a reaction to the frustration some of us expressed at the way in which the discussion was raised and carried.

To be clear, nobody asked or implied that the topic should be deleted, as we obviously don't think that disappearing topics is the way to solve disagreements.

Personally, I don't think anything catastrophic happened. There were a couple of posts where I raised an eyebrow, and I think the general tone could have been more constructive. Having said that, I just don't think it's worthwhile to get offended over a topic about improving the documentation. Hopefully everyone made some mental notes and we all walked away having learned something about having more-productive discussions with other people across the highly-imperfect medium that is text. [As a side note, this was still nowhere near as bad as many of the political discussions I see on Facebook]. As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for anymore meta-discussion about who should have said what in a nicer way.

As far as bringing the topic back, this would require splicing in a database backup, which is too much work to be worthwhile (as much as Paul was jumping at the opportunity to spend a few hours of his life doing it). We do have screenshots, so will post those, and just carry on the discussion from there.

A couple of deep breaths, and back to work we go.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Random American

Marshalrusty wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:09 pm
The topic was deleted by the author, I would assume as a reaction to the frustration some of us expressed at the way in which the discussion was raised and carried.
Respectfully, then that sounds like an abuse of power. I cannot even delete my own posts in this forum (even when I'm the last to post in a topic) yet that guy can just delete a topic and all of our posts within it because he doesn't like what people said about it? I get that he is a team member but come on. If he did it to enforce the rules of the site then I wouldn't be complaining, but this is him just not liking what people posted and deleting everything. That is censorship and it seems like you were also one of the people he censored. I'm not trying to be rude, but this raises eyebrows.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Marshalrusty wrote:
As far as bringing the topic back, this would require splicing in a database backup, which is too much work to be worthwhile (as much as Paul was jumping at the opportunity to spend a few hours of his life doing it). We do have screenshots, so will post those, and just carry on the discussion from there.
Just putting this back (largely for my own benefit) since it won't work in a screenshot:
https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-tea ... repository
P_I

Post by P_I »

Marshalrusty wrote:
We do have screenshots, so will post those, and just carry on the discussion from there.
So does Google, use https://www.google.com/search?q=phpbb+d ... ion+revamp and then look at their cached page(s)
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

I am wondering if any record of the logs would confirm that the OP himself has deleted that topic.
This would certainly clean the air and allow to continue this important topic.
Random American

I'm sure they checked the logs already and even so, I still think it to be an abuse of power. This ain't me posting in bad faith, it's just hard to see this as not a questionable action.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

phpBB has moderation logs, and that's what we looked at to see what happened.
Random American wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:29 pm
Respectfully, then that sounds like an abuse of power. I cannot even delete my own posts in this forum (even when I'm the last to post in a topic) yet that guy can just delete a topic and all of our posts within it because he doesn't like what people said about it? I get that he is a team member but come on. If he did it to enforce the rules of the site then I wouldn't be complaining, but this is him just not liking what people posted and deleting everything. That is censorship and it seems like you were also one of the people he censored. I'm not trying to be rude, but this raises eyebrows.
I'm not going to put words into Mick's mouth, but I think that what happened was he saw people were getting pissed off and tried to appease everyone by nuking the topic. This was not the right move, but an "abuse of power" is a stretch. We have to learn to forgive people for minor transgressions or we're going to find our community getting quite small, with only perfect people remaining.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Return to “phpBB Discussion”