Showing Specific Topics In Viewonline.php

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Random American

Showing Specific Topics In Viewonline.php

Post by Random American »

Hi.

When I look on the viewonline list on sites like phpBB as well as my own board, I see something like "Guest Reading topic in Developement" and I was wondering if there was a way to get it to show which specific topic a user is looking at. I seen some boards do this but it definitely doesn't look like a default feature and I couldn't seem to find any option to enable it. Does it require custom coding or can it be enabled in the ACP and I just missed it?
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
david63

Re: Showing Specific Topics In Viewonline.php

Post by david63 »

I saw an extension just the other day that did exactly that - just cannot remember where it was (not on phpBB)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Random American

david63 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:19 pm
I saw an extension just the other day that did exactly that - just cannot remember where it was (not on phpBB)
I hope phpBB4 will include this as a default feature, as "viewing topic in forum X" isn't that informative in my view.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
david63

Post by david63 »

David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:48 pm
Here you are - https://www.informedwebmaster.com/who-i ... -t904.html
hmm?

Code: Select all

Information
You haven’t selected an attachment to download or view.
Wrong: I clearly specified which file I wanted to download https://www.informedwebmaster.com/downl ... php?id=106
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
david63

Post by david63 »

You have to register on the site to be able to download it - never understood the logic in that approach
David
Random American

david63 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:48 pm
Here you are - https://www.informedwebmaster.com/who-i ... -t904.html
Thanks David.
david63 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:30 pm
You have to register on the site to be able to download it - never understood the logic in that approach
phpBB.com also prevents Guests from viewing attachments. I think it is to counter spam as guests and bots won't be able to read spam attachments.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Random American wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:58 pm
phpBB.com also prevents Guests from viewing attachments. I think it is to counter spam as guests and bots won't be able to read spam attachments.
And that's fine, no problem with that. (I actually wasn't expecting to be able to download anything anyway)
But it's the message which surprised me. I can remember seeing something like: "you need to be logged in to download" or at least something meaningful (e.g. insufficient permissions) on other boards.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Random American

warmweer wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:13 pm
Random American wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:58 pm
And that's fine, no problem with that. (I actually wasn't expecting to be able to download anything anyway)
But it's the message which surprised me. I can remember seeing something like: "you need to be logged in to download" or at least something meaningful (e.g. insufficient permissions) on other boards.
I just joined and I saw that phpBB Board was modified. Maybe it is a custom message, though yes, a message complaining about permissions would make more sense.
Random American

Thanks. I was wondering how you added those extra details on the HiFiKabin online list. I'm not worried about stability, but I'm surprised you installed that on your live board when it is a DEV version. I thought I was one of a very small few who would do that. :D
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Random American wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:28 pm
<snip>but I'm surprised you installed that on your live board when it is a DEV version.<snip>
As always, its a personal choice. I check the authors track record, look through the code and test before even thinking about putting it 'live'
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:12 pm
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2259056
i've been using this for i can't remember how long and it has always worked great

Return to “phpBB Discussion”