phpBB 3.3.2 vs IP Board 4.5

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
eveneme

phpBB 3.3.2 vs IP Board 4.5

Post by eveneme »

is phpbb worse than ipb? are there no longer differences as it used to be?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: phpBB 3.3.2 vs IP Board 4.5

Post by warmweer »

eveneme wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:22 pm
is phpbb worse than ipb? are there no longer differences as it used to be?
Naturally there are still differences but the best way to find out what is to test both of them. (you can sign up for a demo)
phpBB is free and you can install it wherever you want to
Invision Community Suite (IPB is no more) isn't free and has a strange pricing structure for https://invisioncommunity.com/buy:
self hosting is cheaper https://invisioncommunity.com/buy/self-hosted/ (relativity comes to mind when I see the prices)
Yes, there are many options available but each comes at a $$$
Frankly, their cloud plan for 750 simultaneous users comes at the meagre cost of 590$/mo
Thinking about that: that amount (for 1 month) bought me 6 years of hosting. Granted: my maximum users simultaneously online was only 2000+ (and that happened maybe 4 or 5 times per year and it didn't include phpBB which set me back another .. euhm 0$.
Not sure whether I made the right choice :mrgreen:

Seriously all have their pros and cons but the free packages (phpBB, SMF, MyBB, just check the internet for a list) will cater for just about all your needs.

On a side note: these kind of topics have no real value as most users here (and on other board software) are prejudiced anyway (I know I am, but at least I'm objective 8-) ).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

objectively predjudiced. isn't that an oxymoron? no wait, an oxymoron is a moron that needs oxygen.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Worse how? Can you expand on that please?

Also, I don’t think you’ll get much joy here, people come here because they like phpBB so any replies will probably be biased.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 am
as in badder than? ;) surely it can't be worser ... quietly walks away looking at the sky and whistling
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Post by danieltj »

Invision is unmistakably more advanced than phpBB, make no mistake. It has a much more feature complete system behind it but ultimately, I think the pricing is where it really matters. A forum is a forum at the end of the day. Invision is way overpriced and phpBB is free. That alone should count for a lot more than certain features you may be after.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 am

Also, I don’t think you’ll get much joy here, people come here because they like phpBB so any replies will probably be biased.
Actually I came here because I inherited a board that was running phpBB, and converting it to anything else looked like more drama than I wanted to deal with at the time. :lol:

Which is not to say that it will still end up being converted if I start feeling like some drama. It's been interesting seeing another way of doing things, and the members are used to the status quo.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”