Softaculous support?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
softaculous

Softaculous support?

Post by softaculous »

Hi,

I am Brijesh, from the Softaculous team.

We are making changes in Softaculous package for the upgrade to delete the files/folders as suggested in the upgrade guide and will release the updated package asap.

Also if any other issues are found with the install or upgrade package done by Softaculous do open a support ticket with us and we will make the changes asap :
https://softaculous.deskuss.com/

We would like to provide a complete working install and upgrade for phpBB.

Any suggestions by phpBB team or any users are welcome :)
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Softaculous support?

Post by Mick »

Hello,

I invite you to search this board for all the topics relating to Softaculous failures, I suggest you make a couple of days available as there’s a lot of reading. I think I’m correct in saying re-installing, upgrading and updating using the files from here corrected any problems in the majority of cases. I dealt with one only yesterday.

Please don’t make this a support request topic for Softaculous, the link provided by the OP is the place to go for that.

I’ll move this to the phpBB discussion forum.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
EA117

Re: Softaculous support?

Post by EA117 »

Thanks for reaching out on this, Brijesh. Glad to see you are here wanting to improve this feature that helps users get started with phpBB with fewer barriers to entry.

I'm not a Softaculous user in order to say exactly what's happening, or to declare there is a bug that needs fixed. Certainly if steps like the existing /vendor/ folder not being removed before applying the updated /vendor/ folder hadn't been performed prior to now, that will certainly help eliminate issues and improve correctness of the installation. I am a Installatron user and had to raise that same bug with them some time back during phpBB 3.2.4 time frame, too.

The other thing I am assuming here is that it is indeed "just the file-related deletion and copy" actions that Softaculous is scripting here. And when it comes time to actually "perform the install" or "perform the update", Softaculous is invoking the phpBB-supplied CLI installation code via /install/phpbbcli.php. Rather than Softaculous having any need to "directly modify the database to achieve the installation" or similar, to perform upgrade work that phpBB-provided code would have normally been assumed to have handled.

Maybe one other thing that would help here is if you could confirm whether Softaculous has any need to "modify the phpBB-supplied files with Softaculous-specific modifications." Because a lot — and I mean, a lot — of hay is made about that point, without evidence, about third-party installers in general. A confirmation that Softaculous has no need or intention to do that, or a declaration of what Softaculous does currently need to do that makes the phpBB files different from the official download, might go a long way towards clearing away some of the FUD that surrounds this.

One other "bug" or perhaps improvement reported to Installatron which they seem to have adopted is to only apply the .htaccess file included with phpBB "when there have actually been changes." Meaning to a large extent, treat the .htaccess file similar to how the config.php is treated, and assume "it could contain site-critical information" and cannot simply be overwritten with the default phpBB-supplied file without consequences. But, albeit rarely, phpBB does actually ship changes in the .htaccess file, and so applying the phpBB-supplied file is needed "in some cases." But a user having their site "go down in the middle of the night" every time a phpBB update is applied, just because the .htaccess file got overwritten "again", seems unnecessary.
softaculous

Post by softaculous »

Hi,

Just an update.

We have released the updated phpBB package in which we are deleting the files and folders suggested in the phpBB upgrade guide before unzipping the latest package while upgrading phpBB.

This should resolve quite a lot issues which users face due to old package files being present.

Regarding the .htaccess file we will check this and work on it as well.

Do let us know if you face any issues.

We hope to make installing and upgrading phpBB via Softaculous easier and hassle free.
Softaculous Auto Installer
http://www.softaculous.com
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

softaculous wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:51 am
Do let us know if you face any issues
All, please note, support for Softaculous is here https://softaculous.deskuss.com/
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©

Return to “phpBB Discussion”