Mass emails and GDPR?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
timeforhelp1

Mass emails and GDPR?

Post by timeforhelp1 »

https://www.uniconsent.com/blog/small-b ... ed-by-gdpr
Two-person small business is fined €7,300
The CNIL requires that companies collect the consent before sending prospecting emails and to be able to prove the consent.
Ok, while not 100% sure what the heck the fine was for, the sending of emails is in the mix.

Thoughts?
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Re: Mass emails and GDPR?

Post by Crizzo »

Hi,

every user has a ucp switch where he can check, if the administrator is allowed to send him mails or not.

I would see this as a consent.
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

I think there will be a problem if the default selection was "Yes".
That user has never actively expressed his consent in such case. The default should be "No".
Then the user must actively activate it.
Unfortunately there is no log of such actions and it will be difficult to prove the active consent in case of a legal dispute. However, I think this is not likely for non commercial forums.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Crizzo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:09 am
every user has a ucp switch where he can check, if the administrator is allowed to send him mails or not.
That's a choice, not a consent.

By your understanding you'd be happy with e-mails being sent to you as long as the website has the mere availability to switch something on/off, no matter how deep it is buried and no matter if it's opt-in or opt-out. A consent never exists by default.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “phpBB Discussion”