Updating phpBB with Known Bugs

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Froggyted

Updating phpBB with Known Bugs

Post by Froggyted »

I'm currently running 3.3.2..... i think I'll wait for the next update in view of this thread.
Last edited by thecoalman on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from "Known Issues" topic.
david63

Re: Known issues in 3.3.3

Post by david63 »

Froggyted wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:46 am I'm currently running 3.3.2..... i think I'll wait for the next update in view of this thread.
What makes you think that there will not be any issues in the next update?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Froggyted

Post by Froggyted »

I don't. But just like this time around I'll wait for a few weeks to see if any issues have been posted. ;)
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Froggyted wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:18 pm I don't. But just like this time around I'll wait for a few weeks to see if any issues have been posted. ;)
phpBB 3.3.3 was released on 29 Jan 2021, so it has been more than a 'few weeks' and therefore it is probably safe to assume that any major 3.3.3 issue has been identified.

I can certainly understanding waiting a week or two to let others live on the front-edge of deployment, but I don't see any benefit waiting any longer. My boards have been running on 3.3.3 for months now.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Froggyted

Post by Froggyted »

P_I wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:53 pm
Froggyted wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:18 pm I don't. But just like this time around I'll wait for a few weeks to see if any issues have been posted. ;)
phpBB 3.3.3 was released on 29 Jan 2021, so it has been more than a 'few weeks' and therefore it is probably safe to assume that any major 3.3.3 issue has been identified.

I can certainly understanding waiting a week or two to let others live on the front-edge of deployment, but I don't see any benefit waiting any longer. My boards have been running on 3.3.3 for months now.
That's fair enough but I don't see that 3.3.3 offers enough for me to upgrade and then change code, given that the upgrade process is time consuming and not without risk.
Onnozel Manneke
Name: Loki Heimdall

Post by Onnozel Manneke »

Froggyted wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:15 pm given that the upgrade process is time consuming and not without risk.
Database backup + update takes me less then 5 min... :roll:
phpBB NL Extension translations on request.
Visit: https://www.phpbbnl.be

Froggyted

Post by Froggyted »

Onnozel Manneke wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:36 pm
Froggyted wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:15 pm given that the upgrade process is time consuming and not without risk.
It took me a lot longer than that but then I'm a newbie and had to read the procedure and then proceed with caution.
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

Onnozel Manneke wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:36 pm Database backup + update takes me less then 5 min... :roll:
it takes longer when you're inexperienced
and much longer when you're inexperienced but still managed to hardcode some changes to php files ;)
chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 »

Uploading the vendor folder alone takes well over 5 mins. Would love to know how you update everything is less time??
Onnozel Manneke
Name: Loki Heimdall

Post by Onnozel Manneke »

chanlon1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:47 pm
Uploading the vendor folder alone takes well over 5 mins. Would love to know how you update everything is less time??
I guess it depends on the FTP software. Filezilla is slow. Upload goes faster since I use WinSCP
phpBB NL Extension translations on request.
Visit: https://www.phpbbnl.be

Mike-on-Tour
Name: Michael

Post by Mike-on-Tour »

It might depend on your line too, using a high speed fiber optic line will do wonders.
Watz fo lunch?
If you like my extensions or my support please consider a donation: Image
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

I rename the vendor folder first to vendor_1 start the upload and after completing, I delete the vendor folder on the server and rename the vendor_1
The downtime from the board is than less than 5min.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There is improvements and bug fixes in every update. There is also existing bugs and almost always new bugs in every release, there is also bugs no one knows about. The known issues topic only addresses the major ones that will cause problems for a lot of people.

In other words don't hold your breath waiting for a release without any issues.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”