how to extrapolate a ranking of the best moderators?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Harrison76

how to extrapolate a ranking of the best moderators?

Post by Harrison76 »

hello everyone,
A few weeks ago I added moderators to my forum, seven users in all, whereas before I did everything myself. Now that I can't pay them for their work, I thought I'd give them a gift from time to time, like paying for a lunch or something. I would like to know who does their job and who doesn't, because I see some who are very active and others who do little or nothing. Is there a way to extrapolate a report and see who moderates more and who does nothing? That way I could also downgrade the less active ones and add others over time. Please let me know. Thanks

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: how to extrapolate a ranking of the best moderators?

Post by KevC »

Pay them? I've never paid a mod in my life :). You ask if they'd like to help out and if they say yes, then fair enough.

You could look through the moderator logs in the ACP>maintenance tab to see who has done the most in terms of moving, locking etc. Seems a bit early to downgrade people just yet. More often, people step down because they don't have time.

Seven sounds like a lot but it does sometimes depend on the board and subject. I've never had more then 2 or 3 at a time.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Harrison76

Post by Harrison76 »

The problem is that if I look at the log I find an endless list, and it is not clear who has done more and who has done less, it would take some kind of filter, or even a count of the operations. Then I also appear as an administrator in the log, and this creates even more confusion since I am the one who edits the most.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

There's a search box at the top. Put each persons name in and count the number of pages of results. If it's not a whole page, just see how many there are. The list style is striped so you actually only need to count half of them and double it.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
david63

Post by david63 »

Just looking at the moderator log does not necessarily show how active a moderator has bee. One moderator may look at many posts and deem them acceptable but another moderator may look at a few posts and consider them a problem and action them.

All my moderators (well both of them) are on the same rate (zilch) - even though they complain that they deserve a rise :roll:

You have to get a feeling for what they are doing and how well they are moderating.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Harrison76

Post by Harrison76 »

KevC wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:48 pm There's a search box at the top
The problem is that the posts of users who have been corrected by me also appear in that count, so the more mistakes he makes, the more it appears.
david63 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:54 pm even though they complain that they deserve a rise :roll:
but so you pay them? how much and according to what criteria?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Harrison76 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:08 pm The problem is that the posts of users who have been corrected by me also appear in that count, so the more mistakes he makes, the more it appears.
It's not far off an approximation though. But largely you'll just have to make a judgment call.

When you signed them up I doubt you told them there was any reward. The simple solution is not to bother.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It's not a matter of how much they have done but what they have done. A great decision by one moderator is better than ten bad decisions from another. You can only really gauge that by member feedback either in posts or legitimate complaints through PM's.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”