Student board with restrictions?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
tyler2342

Student board with restrictions?

Post by tyler2342 »

I am looking for a solution that would allow faculty and staff to post announcements but restrict students/others to read them (not post). Is it possible to restrict posting via ldap to an Active Directory OU structures such as faculty and staff?

Can we allow for faculty and staff accounts to exist automatically from some syncing process using ldap?

Is it possible to expire content out after say a year or some designated amount of time?

Just trying to see if PHPBB can fit an educational environment. Thanks for any advice!
Tim
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Student board with restrictions?

Post by thecoalman »

tyler2342 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 pm I am looking for a solution that would allow faculty and staff to post announcements but restrict students/others to read them (not post). Is it possible to restrict posting via ldap to an Active Directory OU structures such as faculty and staff?
phpBB permissions can be complicated but can easily handle this. Each individual forum has permissions assigned to each group. You would create a custom group for the faculty. In the forum you want to restrict access you assign the faculty group normal permissions. The registered users group is given no permissions.

A quick explanation of the permissions. These are based on no/yes/never. Since someone can belong to multiple groups and each group has permissions set in each forum the permissions a user has are the aggregate of yes for the groups they belong to. A no permission is better defined as not set but can be set to yes in another group.

Everyone belongs to the registered user group so use that as the default permissions for the bulk of users. In this case you are defaulting to no permission for everyone and overriding it with yes for those that are in the faculty group.

If you wanted to do exact opposite and deny a specific group access you would set the registered user groups to yes permissions and set the specific group to never.

No - Not set but can be elsewhere.
Yes - Overrides no
Never - Overrides yes.

Is it possible to expire content out after say a year or some designated amount of time?
Each forum has a prune function and topics can be automatically deleted after X time. Be aware this completely deletes it, there is no archive.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Student board with restrictions?

Post by stevemaury »

tyler2342 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 pm
Can we allow for faculty and staff accounts to exist automatically from some syncing process using ldap?
phpBB supports LDAP.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”