does the ACP enable me to have a much more toned down forum with less features

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
montisero

does the ACP enable me to have a much more toned down forum with less features

Post by montisero »

do like the interface of the new phpbb3. But since my forum has somewhat senior visitors I fear they will be lost. They will find the pages simply too cluthered.

Are all the links, menus, clickable thingies, bars, menus, etcetera that are visible on a typical forum page fixed ? Or does the ACP enable me to have a much more toned down forum with less features ?
EA117

Re: does the ACP enable me to have a much more toned down forum with less features

Post by EA117 »

Except for some limited examples of features which are opt-in or allow being disabled, no, there isn't any kind of general granular control for "please just take these features away from the main site pages" available in the phpBB ACP.

What it sounds like you're looking for is a custom style for your site. Since at the style level the style can choose to "ignore" and not present features that are otherwise standard on most phpBB sites, regardless of the fact that phpBB itself still supports those features.

This simplified style could be the default for the site and all new and existing users. But this wouldn't prevent you or other users who did want access to more features from being able to choose a different style when desired or necessary, which did present more of the phpBB standard functionality.

There isn't an existing style which comes to mind that intended to simplify and provide only limited functionality. There are many styles available of course, but they understandably all tend to default to "offer all the features that phpBB supports." Maybe someone else will have a suggestion in mind of an existing style you could look at.

But since your preference of "what doesn't seem necessary for my users" could be unique to you and your site, it seems more likely that you might need to commission (pay) for a custom style created specifically for you, by posting in the Wanted! forum.

If you end up posting for work to be done in the Wanted! forum, recommend that you have a very specific idea of all the things you would want removed. For example, including screen shots of your existing site pages, with all the items you intend to remove circled.
montisero

Re: does the ACP enable me to have a much more toned down forum with less features

Post by montisero »

thank you
david63

Post by david63 »

You might want to take a look at this extension - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/phpbbasic/ which simplifies the board somewhat, although take note of the warning that it cannot be undone.
montisero wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:13 am But since my forum has somewhat senior visitors I fear they will be lost.
Don't underestimate your members just because they are "seniors", many seniors are far more tech savvy than some youngsters!
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:14 am Don't underestimate your members just because they are "seniors", many seniors are far more tech savvy than some youngsters!
Don't flatter yourself :P (oops, ... no, please do as I've passed the youngster stage some time ago already)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Seniors like the ones that invented the internet, html, the browser, Windows, Linux, etc.? Those seniors?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

They invented modern vehicle production, too. That hasn't helped their driving late in life, either. 😜 Those seniors.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

I have been driving for 60 years. Have never had a traffic ticket. You?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

Post by hewmac06 »

Beat you by two years, and never had a ticket. :roll:
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seniors are less stupid than young people would like to believe. Only seniors visit my forum. If they can't find something, they learned to write in their youth. They then ask.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

hewmac06 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:38 am Beat you by two years, and never had a ticket. :roll:
What do they have, one cop for the 200 people living in the Bellarine?
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Indeed, if anyone had considered them "stupid", that says more about us than it does them. But at the same time, to say they aren't "very frequently struggling with technology" would fly in the face of the shared experience many of us have in trying to support "the IT needs" of their aging to elderly family members. Or the shared experience so many families have of struggling to figure out when the car keys simply have to be taken away, even though driving represents a very significant remaining independence being clung to.

So yes, "those seniors" are what made it seem not unusual at all that OP considered a simplified experience might help their audience. Not that they even need an actual reason to say "I want a simplified experience for my site." There are entire business models centered around creating simplified products for the aging set, so I'm not sure what the point would be in pretending this doesn't exist. Proving it's not true for any one of us individually doesn't invalidate the premise.
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

EA117 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:01 pmProving it's not true for any one of us individually doesn't invalidate the premise.
You are right and I apologize. My reaction was undoubtedly the fact that for 50 years I have been looking at how things are "simplified" for women and for old people, for the sake of self-righteousness, so that one does not become unimportant, and the status of the inability to obtain for these poor people. :lol: ;)
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

I have pared down features at request in several boards. If the OP wants to post in the "Wanted!" forum, I can help him.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”