Testing out a theme/style without it being live

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Testing out a theme/style without it being live

Post by stevemaury »

I know what he's saying. If you create users and set their style to the style to be tested, you can test the UCP and MCP. There is no difference between a test board and a forum set to another style. It's a test board with one forum.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

stevemaury wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm I know what he's saying. If you create users and set their style to the style to be tested, you can test the UCP and MCP. There is no difference between a test board and a forum set to another style. It's a test board with one forum.
With all due respect i am not sure you do,

Your post suggested creating a forum on his board and assign a specific style to that forum.

Your follow up is a totally different way of doing it and misses the point that the OP said he only wants himself and one other person to be able to see the style, the way you mention would let all users see the style i their UCP.

Easier to have just said something like oh yeah my suggestion wouldn't have allowed testing the ucp and faq etc rather than confuse and give the impression you haven't read the posts in the topic. Non support staff get grilled on here for that very thing hehe.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

On 3.0.x (back in medieval times) I used group template variables to remove certain features during registration (and in the UCP).
Thinking about that, I suspect it should be possible to remove the style switching option for certain groups and allow a specific group (selected users) to use it.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

warmweer wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:10 pm Thinking about that, I suspect it should be possible to remove the style switching option for certain groups and allow a specific group (selected users) to use it.
Possibly but it is probably quicker, and safer, to create a test site :D
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

If you assign a style to a forum and in Board settings select Override user styles, the forum to which the style was assigned will display in that style (to those who can see the forum, which in this case will be only the OP and his collaborator) and all users will see all other forums in the default style, and will have no option to change styles in the UCP.

Admittedly, there are other ways to accomplish the OP's wants. Also, it is correct that the developers of the style will not be able to see their UCPs in the new style, but that can be corrected easily if it is important to the OP and he wishes to use this method. This extension will allow some users to change styles but not others - https://github.com/kinerity/groupswitches
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
BytesBoss
Name: Bytes Boss

Post by BytesBoss »

david63 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:53 pm
warmweer wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:10 pm Thinking about that, I suspect it should be possible to remove the style switching option for certain groups and allow a specific group (selected users) to use it.
Possibly but it is probably quicker, and safer, to create a test site :D
Agreed, depends on hosting situation for OP but for me I got an 2 dollar domain from name-cheap for such purposes, then created a clone v.m test things out this way, not just with forums but any projects I work on. I do not need to do this often, especially with phpBB forums but it's a solid option for testing, isolated development and can be tested away from active users.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”