Testing out a theme/style without it being live

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
TheJay

Testing out a theme/style without it being live

Post by TheJay »

Hello there,

I want to customise a premium theme but don't want it to go live until I am happy with it.

Is there a way (aside from installing two instances of phpBB) of developing the second theme on the forum so that only myself and someone else can see the development version and no one else sees any different when they visit?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Testing out a theme/style without it being live

Post by Mick »

The easiest and probably safest for development is Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

The thing is, this is being developed by myself and someone else who lives remotely. Surely there is another way?
david63

Post by david63 »

TheJay wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:28 am Surely there is another way?
Set up a test site on your hosting account, or use one of the free hosts while you develop the style
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

TheJay wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:25 am I want to customise a premium theme but don't want it to go live until I am happy with it.

Is there a way (aside from installing two instances of phpBB) of developing the second theme on the forum so that only myself and someone else can see the development version and no one else sees any different when they visit?
It's possible but not worth the effort (+ the risk of breaking something during development).
Just follow Mick's advice and test on a copy of the board (a live board shouldn't be a guinea pig anyway!).

You could set up a copy of the live board in a different directory (or on a free host, just temporary).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

It would be good if a theme/style could be set on a per user basis so we could have a development account as that seems like the easiest way to do it without duplicating everything.
david63

Post by david63 »

TheJay wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:42 am without duplicating everything
You don't have to duplicate everything. Just upload the files, create a database and run the install - all done in 15 minutes.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Thank you, that is what I have done
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

You could install the new style and access it via link yourdomain.com/index.php?style=xx where xx is the id of the style. But you need remember to set override user style to yes in ACP so no one can use in ucp.
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Thank you, that also sounds like a good option! I guess it's good to have a second board we can test on so I'll leave it in place for future use.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Make a forum on your board only you and your collaborator can see. Copy some topics to it to populate it. Assign that style to that forum. Easy. Most people do not know (or forget) that each forum can have a different style.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

stevemaury wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:43 pm Make a forum on your board only you and your collaborator can see. Copy some topics to it to populate it. Assign that style to that forum. Easy. Most people do not know (or forget) that each forum can have a different style.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! AWESOME.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

stevemaury wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:43 pm Make a forum on your board only you and your collaborator can see. Copy some topics to it to populate it. Assign that style to that forum. Easy. Most people do not know (or forget) that each forum can have a different style.
What about if you want to work on styling ucp mcp FAQ members lists etc? That won't work.
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Create some dummy users.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

stevemaury wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:46 pm Create some dummy users.
I think Mannix is making the point that using the settings you mention does not let users test out the UCP using the style.

The best way to properly test out a style thoroughly is using a test forum, other methods are cutting corners and will ultimately lead to silly mistakes that wouldn't have been made if using a proper test setup from the start.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦

Return to “phpBB Discussion”