Old phpbb2-Forum and 'Umlauts' in database

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
richey

Old phpbb2-Forum and 'Umlauts' in database

Post by richey »

Hello,

I have an old read-only phpbb2-based forum on my website, and noticed that the German umlauts it contains (the tables in it are encoded in "latin1_swedish_ci" for some reason) are displayed as ugly black diamond-shape icon with a question mark in them.

I have re-encoded the page header template (overall_header.tpl) in utf-8, but that didn't fix the problem for all content pulled from the database.

Did anyone have a similar problem and fixed it successfully?

thanks,
r.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: Old phpbb2-Forum and 'Umlauts' in database

Post by Paul »

Support for phpBB versions earlier than 3.2.0 has ended. Any support requests regarding those versions are limited to help with conversion to the latest version.
richey

Post by richey »

Yeah, of course - but that's why I've posted it here and not in the actual support forums.

I could imagine that someone (who simply retired a forum based on phpbb2) had similar problems and maybe could share experiences/tips on how to display all database content correctly.

By the way, when I use "View"-"Text Encoding" in the browser and set it to "Automatic", it displays fine! ;-)
But obviously, it should display correctly by default...
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Probably, but after 15 years, we are not going to spend the time to find out. Excelsior!
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”