Status of the new version of phpBB ?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
rg90

Status of the new version of phpBB ?

Post by rg90 »

May I ask at what stage is the new version of phpBB ?
I registered this some time ago, but quite a long time has passed and nothing is happening.

Can I ask if a new version is in the works or not. At what stage is it, and if it is being prepared for publication and when approximately.
It's really about time and old version of phpBB give away. :)

https://blog.phpbb.com/2018/09/16/to-the-future/

Thanks
david63

Re: Status of the new version of phpBB ?

Post by david63 »

If you are referring to phpBB 4 then the only answer that anyone can give is "it will be ready when it is ready"
rg90 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am It's really about time and old version of phpBB give away.
Why - what is wrong with the current version?

Apart from possibly a new style (if it is ready) then don't expect anything revolutionary in phpBB 4 - most of the changes are "under the hood"
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
rg90

Post by rg90 »

Why - what is wrong with the current version?

Nothing serious, it's just time for a change. Honestly phpBB mainly needs to change the administration, simplify the whole system.
A modern template, even a like system or emoji implentation would be nice.

I really like the new look that's in the works so I'm just wondering what the development looks like.
david63

Post by david63 »

rg90 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 am phpBB mainly needs to change the administration, simplify the whole system.
As far as I am aware that is not going to happen.
rg90 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 am emoji implentation
Already implemented
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
rg90

Post by rg90 »

Ah there is this topic: viewtopic.php?f=691&t=2485796&start=180

The new style looks great. https://codepen.io/collection/Drjrjx/#
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

rg90 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am May I ask at what stage is the new version of phpBB ?
I registered this some time ago, but quite a long time has passed and nothing is happening.
You registered 4 days prior to this post.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

stevemaury wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:41 am
rg90 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 amI registered this some time ago, but quite a long time has passed
You registered 4 days prior to this post.
From my experience this indicates a person abandoning an old account (mostly for simple/lazy reasons) and registering anew. As if nobody expects board rules to forbid multiple accounts.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

I understand OP's frustration. I had a years-long hiatus from maintaining any sort of online community and decided to recreate my most successful over this past winter. Going back to phpBB after using WordPress exclusively in the interim felt weird -- a lot of the design/admin cues felt dated, images that could be SVG are still extremely low-res (think smilies), etc. And I get that the WP way of doing things isn't ideal for message boards -- their own BBPress is very feature-limited, for example -- but there's gotta be a happy medium that would allow phpBB to look and feel modern and not like a 2000s-something app.

I eagerly await what 4.0 brings. Among my wishlist are items like built-in social sharing buttons for threads and posts, modernized graphics throughout, WYSIWYG editing, and a streamlined admin interface, particularly in regards to permissions. I've not followed development so I have no idea whether I should expect any of those things, but wishes are wishes for a reason.
RickBeckman.org | The Fellowship Hall – Diversity-friendly Religious Forums

Return to “phpBB Discussion”