about/downloads/customise/support/dev/blog

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
adeliasnow
I've Been Banned!

about/downloads/customise/support/dev/blog

Post by adeliasnow »

I am sure its been asked tons of times, sorry I looked and could not figure it out myself.
How to make the other website features such as the about/downloads/customise/support/dev/blog links?
Some paid forums have extra stuff like that as add ons. I dont care for any paid forum software tho, all ppl
are doing is paying money so the forum company can sell their info and track them. A free and open source
board like phpbb is much better than any paid honeypots. Too bad, I looked at phpbb years ago and passed it
over, i thought it was old fashioned and so forth... im now going to start websites using phpbb in 2021! So anyways
sorry for the long winded post but was just wondering about how to implement other stuff such as the
about/downloads/customise/support/dev/blog areas. Through phpbb free ad ons or something? Thanks!!!!!!!
Last edited by thecoalman on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB discussion.
invenio

Re: about/downloads/customise/support/dev/blog

Post by invenio »

I think you are interested in Extensions which add functionality to the core phpBB program. Just click on above header "Customize/Extensions" to search the database of extensions available for phpBB.
adeliasnow
I've Been Banned!

Post by adeliasnow »

Cool, thanks! :D
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There is no paid for anything here on phpbb.com. If you can't find an extension or style that suits your needs with a little HTML/CSS you easily make it whatever you want.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
adeliasnow
I've Been Banned!

Post by adeliasnow »

thecoalman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:31 pm There is no paid for anything here on phpbb.com. If you can't find an extension or style that suits your needs with a little HTML/CSS you easily make it whatever you want.
Cool!! Yeah i had invision power board, vbulletin, and xenforo in the past, after a while it gets annoying to have to keep paying for the same software over and over - paying just so they can track everything!! Phpbb is really nice and more in line with the F.O.S.S. ethos. I never realized that phpbb is so good....like even the extras are free and it is software to the FOSS standard. I wonder why phpbb is not on github tho? The phpbb3 devs must have it under control and do not want any coding help? Anyways, for years i stupidly overlooked phpbb, and now I realize that it is the best- for a number of reasons. ;) I look forward to one day making an extension for phpbb3 that others like! 8-)
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

phpBB is most certainly on Github.

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

adeliasnow
I've Been Banned!

Post by adeliasnow »

ahhh... disregard that part of what i said then :) :D
adeliasnow
I've Been Banned!

Post by adeliasnow »

YIKES!!! I notice that on git it uses composer to install dependencies- i installed it fine without composer tho. That is really cool tho, Im actually so happy its on github. Some php apps REQUIRE one to run composer install - its interesting that phpbb works both ways. (I downloaded it right from this website instead of git) SO i take it if one does not want 2 use composer u download it from this site otherwise you get it from git?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

The usual way (certainly for newcomers) is to use the Downloads link at the top of this page.
I don't see any reason to download anything from github unless you want to test the absolute latest patches (most users don't even know what github is).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”