download phpbb 4.0 ?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: download phpbb 4.0 ?

Post by Mick »

GTI wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:12 pm if you lose your phone the finder can use your accounts
david63 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 amI would hazard a guess that for most people accessing a forum would be the least of their problems if they lost their phone
Indeed and most everyone I know has auto-lock turned on so a pin has to be used to access the phone.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

david63 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 am I would hazard a guess that for most people accessing a forum would be the least of their problems if they lost their phone.
Exactly, so how long would that give someone to use my account - possibly hours until I decided to get the phone barred.

If my email account was 'remembered' too they would be in full control of that plus my phone number which means they could change the username, email address, phone number on any of my accounts, ie paypal, ebay, mumsnet, twitter, insta, facebook, quickly without it being flagged as suspicious as they be using my phone data connection, so in 30 mins if my phone gets barred they wouldn't need it anyway as they would be using the new email/number/password/username they've given my accounts.

As for the screen lock, I don't use it as I'm a texter but I'm sure I read somewhere that it can be bypassed with some Android phones by accessing the camera.

I will always be of the opinion that remember me is dangerous, no matter if phrases like 'go password free' 'save time' 'make life easier' are used to tempt me into it, I don't see the 40 seconds it takes to log in to sites as a chore.

When the change is implemented, we won't know how many people don't like it as they will complain to the owner of the forum they use - but I bet across the globe you will see the administrators changing it back manually.

Has anyone ever posted 'make the remember me box checked by default' in the ideas section of this site? If so it would be interesting to see what thumbs up score it received at the time.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

GTI wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:20 pm Exactly, so how long would that give someone to use my account - possibly hours until I decided to get the phone barred.
GTI wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:20 pm As for the screen lock, I don't use it
You can't blame the forum software because you're not using a security step on your phone designed to protect exactly the thing you're complaining about, surely.
Besides which they're much more likely to want to get to your bank account than to mess up your forum.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I’m a texter too but I don’t see why that would stop you using the screen lock. Being able to use the camera while the phone is locked is a feature of iPhones & Android (probably the rest too) as I found out to my annoyance. While I was away from the table leaving my phone behind a friends girlfriend took dozens of random pics, I’ve learned to keep it in my pocket these days :D I’ve not heard of camera access from the lock screen being used for nefarious reasons, if it’s even possible, and it can be turned off on iPhone but it’s a bit of a potch and hardly worth the effort.

Anyway, I’m not certain what that has to do with downloading phpBB v4.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:50 pm Anyway, I’m not certain what that has to do with downloading phpBB v4.
Aw c'mon Mick: proof of concept: posting those pictures (before the censor steps in :) ) on a phpBB4 board which was downloaded with a screenlocked S-phone.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
GTI

Post by GTI »

Mick wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:50 pm I’m a texter too but I don’t see why that would stop you using the screen lock.
Tey being a woman we like to reply to texts like instant messaging it's in the DNA, it gets annoying having to unlock the phone every 2 mins to read texts.

I'm not blaming the forum software, I was talking about remember me's on any website.

Back to the phpBB 4.0 discussion before we get topic locked...

I like that the 'resend activation email' link has been removed from the login page.

I like the material icons.

I like that the icon which shows you that you posted in a topic has been removed and replaced with an icon that just shows you that you started the topic.

I like the changes to the bottom corners of the topic list.

The online icon replacing the image used to cover the avatar is a nice change too.

Well done to all involved with the work so far.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

GTI wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:20 pm As for the screen lock, I don't use it as I'm a texter but I'm sure I read somewhere that it can be bypassed with some Android phones by accessing the camera.

I will always be of the opinion that remember me is dangerous, no matter if phrases like 'go password free' 'save time' 'make life easier' are used to tempt me into it, I don't see the 40 seconds it takes to log in to sites as a chore.
The hardware on current phones and TPM chip on laptop/PC make it all but impossible to retrieve any data even for alphabet agencies..... as long as you need to login to the device and have enabled full disk encryption.

That hardware chip performs a variety of security related features, for example it does hardware check at boot to insure there is nothing tampered with. It's primary function is to make encryption easy to use, it holds the keys for encrypted data. To unlock the keys you need to enter the passcode/password etc. Entries of the passcode are time barred or limited. There should be recovery key in case you get locked out.

If you want an analogy your personal data is stored in an impenetrable vault that requires a 300 pound key to open it. It is not practical to carry around a 300 pound key so you store it in small safe next to the vault that requires smaller key. The smaller safe is booby trapped and will destroy the big key if you use the wrong small key to try and open it.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Noticed Re: [4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon just now if it means anything to you?
    " - Harmony Cobel
GTI

Post by GTI »

Thanks for the link Mick :)

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Mick wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:54 pm ‘her’? Are you sure?

Females are always late.
lmaooooooo
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Return to “phpBB Discussion”