What's a OAuth use case example?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
funtent

What's a OAuth use case example?

Post by funtent »

Why would a user want to use the Google login button rather than the regular phpBB login button, for example? Non-snark, actual question.

I'm exploring it by setting up Google OAuth credentials, logging in with a test account to my board.

What are the benefits to users?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: What's a OAuth use case example?

Post by 3Di »

Once the phpBB account is linked to Google OAuth in this case, users will be able to sign in to the board by simply clicking on that button, without needing to remember the username and PW.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
funtent

Post by funtent »

Ok, thanks 3Di. I've put something that's been nagging me to bed. I thought for a minute new users could log in without creating an account on my forum.

That would be nice because it's less friction to posting on my board. While fighting behemoths like Facebook and Reddit, less friction = win.

If there are no other benefits to OAuth, I'll leave it alone.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

funtent wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:14 pm Ok, thanks 3Di. I've put something that's been nagging me to bed. I thought for a minute new users could log in without creating an account on my forum.

That would be nice because it's less friction to posting on my board. While fighting behemoths like Facebook and Reddit, less friction = win.

If there are no other benefits to OAuth, I'll leave it alone.
That's possible with an extension, we made one like that for BattleNet.
Only the first time they have to click submit to create automatically the account with the data prefilled, provided already by BattleNet.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Return to “phpBB Discussion”