Switching from Snitz to phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Kelleytoons

Switching from Snitz to phpBB

Post by Kelleytoons »

Dear folks,

I'm an old guy (WAY too old for this stuff anymore) who used to run three BBs using the Snitz software, mostly because it used the MS database as its engine and I could write queries and otherwise deal with it myself (as a former programmer). But my last forum was a decade ago and while it still exists it's clearly NOT what is current nowadays. So I'm thinking of using phpBB but have several questions.

I assume that my host (which, as I said, is still running Snitz) is capable of running phpBB, but what questions do I need ask to be positive? And forgive me but it has been almost two decades ago now - how the heck do I even install this software? I have the IP address and ability to upload files to my host, but I assume there are other issues and things which need to be done. Is there an installation guide for idiots? (Or at least for very old former tech types who have forgotten just about everything).

Finally, one of the main reasons I'm thinking of installing a new BB rather than using Snitz (which does seem to still run) is I want my users to be able to upload images (mostly grandparent types will be using this board, so things like their grandkids and pets). Snitz had a plugin that did this but it was VERY awkward and the best way was to host your image elsewhere and use a URL, which is beyond most grandfolks. Does phpBB have that built in or at least in an easy to install extension?

TIA for any help.
Last edited by thecoalman on Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB discussion.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Switching from Snitz to phpBB

Post by thecoalman »

Kelleytoons wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:12 pm I assume that my host (which, as I said, is still running Snitz) is capable of running phpBB,
Any host should be capable of running phpBB. Here are the specific requirements:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uirements/
Does phpBB have that built in or at least in an easy to install extension?
This has been part of phpBB's core since 2007. :D It was modification prior to that. You can test it out in the testing forum.

posting.php?mode=post&f=26

Crete new topic, below the posting pane you'll find tab for uplaoding files. phpBB utilizes plupload which makes things very easy as a long as they have JS enabled.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Kelleytoons wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:12 pm I'm an old guy (WAY too old for this stuff anymore) who used to run three BBs using the Snitz software, mostly because it used the MS database as its engine and I could write queries and otherwise deal with it myself (as a former programmer).
If I understand correctly, your Snitz is using MS Access (or similar).
In a previous century (actually around 2004/2005) I transformed an Access forum to phpbb (version 2 something) (Actually Access to Access-phpBBstructure, which I then imported into an empty (SQL) phpBB2 database).

That should be fairly simple (whatever the structure). You should then have a phpBB2 board which can be converted to 3.0.12 with the phpBB-native convert system. [ADDED] Upgrading from 3.0.x to the latest 3.3.x is then straightforward.

I'ld offer to do it (for free) but will be absent for about 3 weeks but since you have experience as a programmer (with MS products), you should be able to figure it out relatively easily (that is if you have experience with a personal webserver, an old version of easyphp or Xampp is needed to run phpBB2)

ADDED 10 minutes later: a quick search (why reinvent the wheel?) for a Snitz converter came up with http://snitz2phpbb.sourceforge.net/. That could avoid the hassle of having to transform the data yourself.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

warmweer wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:01 am I'ld offer to do it (for free) but will be absent for about 3 weeks
We all are waiting for you. I strongly believe you can put a new milestone onto the converters' world. Thanks. :ugeek:
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I would have thought an MS Access Db would be relatively easy to export to practically anything really including MySQL. Select "Export selected tables to SQL" from the File menu and select "MySQL" then choose whether to export data, structure, or both. Presumably that’s what the converter does plus a few other tweaks? There are a few topics here on the subject if you have a search including converting to newer phpBB versions such as 3.0.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:15 am ...
We all are waiting for you. I strongly believe you can put a new milestone onto the converters' world. Thanks. :ugeek:
Why the cynicism? There no need for a new milestone since a converter already exists, and I never had any plans to write a converter (which is beyond my capabilities anyway). The fact is that phpBB2 is a lot less complicated than phpBB3.x and from Access to sql requires very little data manipulation. Once that's done, the default (phpBB2 > phpBB3) converter takes over.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Hmm.. I'm used to actions rather than words and then what does phpBB2 have to do with it?
Anyway I think it's pointless to open a discussion on the subject. :ugeek: ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:48 am Hmm.. I'm used to actions rather than words and then what does phpBB2 have to do with it?
Well, his forum could still be running (from what I gather) and is more than a decade old so it's not unthinkable that it could be "transformed" to phpBB v2 ( and the later search did come up with a convertor) and then upgraded.
3Di wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:48 am Anyway I think it's pointless to open a discussion on the subject. :ugeek: ;)
That depends; the OP needs to give more details: does he want to keep the Snitz data or just start a new board: both options are possible.

Kelleytoons

Post by Kelleytoons »

I *tried* to post again, but either it's waiting for approval or I did something wrong.

Anyway, no, my bad that I might have implied I wanted to transfer the old forum. Those were all old people as well, and, well, let's just say they may not be using any forums anymore <g>.

I think I have all the info I need, folks, so thanks for all your help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”