Giving somebody else a copy of the board?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Fermenter

Giving somebody else a copy of the board?

Post by Fermenter »

Short version: best way to hand over a full copy of my board, so that if I die (or get fed up/kicked out) others can run it on their own server, without giving them any admin permissions now?

Long version: I started a board for a (dysfunctional) cooperative that I believe in. I've uploaded a huge amount of archival material, and we are starting to use it for useful discussions. I am running it on my own server space, using a domain name I registered.

I have no explicit authority to do any of this. It's possible one day somebody will try to insist that I should democratise the process, elect co-administrators etc. If that happens I will refuse (it would be horrendous), but I'd also like to hand over a copy of the board at regular intervals, in good faith, so they have all the data and can do it themselves if the circumstances warrant it (I assume they'd employ a tech to do it).

The board membership is strictly limited to shareholders, plus one 'admin' account. I currently have founder status on my personal login, but no other 'visible' privileges, and I use the admin login as a neutral ID for uploading documents and moderating (just moving stuff around, I don't actually moderate any of the discussions).

Here's my thinking:
1. Give my 'admin' user founder status
2. Change its password prior to making a backup
3. Make the backup
4. Change the password back
5. Hand over the backup and the admin password together?

I realise they could revoke my founder status on the new board, that's fine. But are there other risks to my current board I haven't considered?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Giving somebody else a copy of the board?

Post by thecoalman »

There is other things you may have not considered. Domain registration for example? FTP access for attachments?

I don't believe there is any issues with your suggestion but that's a lot of work to maintain. A better option may be to download Keepass, add all relevant passwords such as the ones for domain registration, hosting and phpBB admin user. You can save the file and give it to one person, give the password for the Keepass file to someone else which gives dual custody requiring both to open it. You could even split the password up and distribute to multiple people.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Fermenter

Post by Fermenter »

Hi thecoalman, and thanks for your continued help.

I'd only be doing this process once or twice a year, to produce a USB drive with the 'forum' on it to hand over.

I'm not worried about the domain, I'll either just transfer it to them (if I want out), or they can register their own (if I really want to keep things as they are). To be honest the whole point is to make it hard to usurp me, but not impossible. I'm happy to continue doing the job my way, but if they really want someone else to do it they can figure it out themselves.

But what should I backup? Do I need the full forum backup PLUS the database backup PLUS the whole forum directory?

And none of that (in the wrong hands) can compromise the existing board?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If you're paying for hosting, they usually have systems in place for people to take over sites in the event of death.

They will also regularly keep back ups. If you're only going to back the site up for archive twice a year that's a lot of posts you'll potentially miss out.

I certainly wouldn't hand over my entire database to someone. You will also potentially have GDPA legal issues with that.

The database is the main thing you need. That is all of the site content, the accounts, the posts, the forums, the permissions. The files can be downloaded again unless you have any customisations. The /files folder is where the attachments are so you would need that.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Fermenter

Post by Fermenter »

Thanks KevC, I realise I would lose posts between backups, but that's tolerable to me in this circumstance. Attachments are more important, as I have uploaded many hundreds of documents (into archive forums & topics).

Predominantly this is a symbolic move - I want to periodically table a full copy of the forum, to show that I am not attempting to 'own' the data, and to head off any claim that I should involve more people in its administration. The copy should contain all of the attachments and posts at that time, and enable someone (with the relevant skills) to recreate the forum on their own servers, both to verify my honesty and in the event that there is a falling out.

My main concern is whether such a copy poses any risk to the current forum, especially if it falls into the wrong hands. Could somebody that knew what they were doing harvest passwords or use it to somehow compromise the original forum?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Fermenter wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:46 am But what should I backup? Do I need the full forum backup PLUS the database backup PLUS the whole forum directory?
Minimally you need database backup and backup of the files and avatar directories. Assuming no custom edits everything else can be restored with downloadable files . That said it's just easier backing up entire site. Most FTP programs have sync option. I have Windows scheduler run script nightly for WinSCP to download new files and database backups. Hosts typically have a "backup" but that is in quotes because it can be days old and only useful for disaster recovery. If you want up to date backups you either need to do it yourself of pay for it.

In regards to the domain just be aware that is something that can be very difficult if not impossible to transfer without access to registrar account and/or the email account associated with the domain.
And none of that (in the wrong hands) can compromise the existing board?
As long as you are changing the password on the founders account on live forum after making this backup there is no way it could be used to comprise the live board. Even if you didn't change it's not quite that simple because the password itself is not stored in the database. When someone creates a password a mathematical formula is used to generate a hash value which is what is stored in the database. When someone logs in the password they enter goes through same process to determine if the hashed value of the input matches the hashed value in the database. This can be brute forced but it's time consuming if you have used a long and complex password. Days... weeks...years... depends
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Fermenter

Post by Fermenter »

Awesome, thank you kindly :D

Return to “phpBB Discussion”