Any issues having post dates older than the forum?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Fermenter

Any issues having post dates older than the forum?

Post by Fermenter »

I'm using a large part of my forum to archive old paper and email communications.

As I'm posting them I'm changing my post date with an extension (no longer supported) to reflect the document date. It seems to work as expected. Obviously it means the post date predates the board date on many occasions.

Just wondering if anyone can foresee problems with this, especially as the number of 'old' posts rapidly increases. I don't think I'll find any documents pre-1970, but I'm aware that could be another issue.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: Any issues having post dates older than the forum?

Post by 3Di »

First of all I wonder what the point is of posting a topic with the date reflecting the document, the document is old but posted recently. Nothing special just specify in the post its date of origin. However, if you really want you can change the start date of your board with this extension https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ine_since/ at least you won't find problems if someone searches by date. I've always been against changing dates in posts because searches and all the code is based primarily on post IDs. It's a basic subterfuge that will lead to other problems in the future. Your choice.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
david63

Post by david63 »

There is no problem with having posts older than the board start date - in fact there is an option in the ACP to reset the board start date to the current date.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Fermenter

Post by Fermenter »

Thanks guys.

The poster for all these posts is just my 'admin' user ID. The purpose is that it makes a very convenient way to pull together historical communications and documents from various sources, into a single topic that can be followed chronologically. When new documents come to light, they can be slotted into the appropriate date and time to help to fill out the picture. It works really well, just wanted to check that it wasn't going to lead to disaster!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”