.heic support

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Willoughby_wx

.heic support

Post by Willoughby_wx »

Happy Sunday,

Is there a way to add HEIC support for images on phpBB3?

Thank you :)
Willoughby
Last edited by thecoalman on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB discussion.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: .heic support

Post by thecoalman »

Just did a little checking on this as I'm unfamiliar with the format and it looks like this may be replacement for .jpeg in the future. However I don't see any support for it in current browsers so it would be somewhat pointless to have support in phpBB to be displayed as "image".

You can try adding it to image group but that may not work as intended as far as phpBB goes and even if it does work you still don't have a browser that can display it when served as "image". Adding it to another group like archives for example should work but It's just going to be served with mime type octet/stream which in most cases will prompt a dialog box from the browser to save the file.

ACP >> Posting tab >> Manage attachment settings link on the left
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

You have to post that as idea/request, just like webp file support was done. And if you read it you'll notice yourself if you're just talking about embedding HEIC pictures (then phpBB will support that already unless you have height/width restrictions) or if you want attachment support (then it could even be irrelevant if internet browsers can display it or not - but phpBB might still enforce width/height rules and whatnot).
thecoalman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:15 pmI'm unfamiliar with the format and it looks like this may be replacement for .jpeg in the future
Then you're also unfamiliar with all the other candidates from the past (J2K) and the present (AVIF).
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
SpIdErPiGgY
Name: Andy Dm

Post by SpIdErPiGgY »

"Firefox Beta now supports the new AVIF image format"
But don't see .heic anywhere in the release notes.

So seems to be for the future
phpBB NL Extension translations, also on request.
--> Click Here: Myarea51secrets.com <--
Willoughby_wx

Post by Willoughby_wx »

Thank you, one of my users requested it as their phone photo is that format. Little did I realise that not any browser can even display it yet.
mamba

Post by mamba »

I would hope that AVIF has support in the current version? It offers much better compression than PNG or JPEG with support for higher color depths, animated frames, transparency, etc. Most browsers support it now.
Using latest version of PHPBB
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Apple supports HEIC and AVIF (since 2022) but AVIF is converted to HEIF when an image is imported to the photo library. So, having said that, presumably phpBB supports them too as I can post iPhone/iPad images into phpBB (I say presumably) one way or another.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

1. Embedding animated HEIC:
  2. Embedding still HEIC:
  3. Embedding animated AVIFS:
  4. Embedding still AVIF:
  5. Attachments are not possible on this installation: filename extensions .heic, .avifs and .avif are not allowed.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “phpBB Discussion”