Discuss: phpBB 3.3.5 Release

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Discuss: phpBB 3.3.5 Release

Post by Marc »

Please discuss the announcement here.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.5 Release

Post by P_I »

Marc wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:31 pm Please discuss the announcement here.
In the release announcement the list of all issues fixed on our tracker at https://tracker.phpbb.com/issues/?filter=15890 isn't public (yet).
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

It should be visible once you login with your phpbb.com account details.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Marc wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:50 pm It should be visible once you login with your phpbb.com account details.
:oops: Hadn't noticed that I visiting as a guest rather than logged in. For some reason my 'Keep me logged in' setting had been lost or expired.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Thank you for the update.
  1. Backup all board files and the database.
  2. Download the Full Package of the latest version of 3.3.x
  3. Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
  4. Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images, /store and /files folders from the package (not your site).
  5. Go to the ACP, Board settings, and make sure prosilver is set as the default style. If not, set it to prosilver. Also make sure British English is set as the default language.
  6. Using FTP, delete the /vendor and /cache folders from the board's root folder on the host.
  7. Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and folders (that is, the remaining CONTENTS of the phpBB3 folder) to the root folder of your board installation on the server, overwriting the existing files. (Note: take care not to delete any extensions in your /ext folder when uploading the new phpBB3 contents.)
  8. If there are any install_config.php, *.lock or migration* files in the /store folder, delete them.
  9. In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/install
  10. Follow the steps to update the database and let that run to completion.
  11. Via FTP or SSH delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.
  12. Done.
You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts.

Follow up tasks:
  • Update your language pack
  • Update your style
Only use a good FTP or SSH client, such as FileZilla, to transfer the files. (File transfer utilities provided in host control panels can cause problems.)
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
SpIdErPiGgY
Name: Andy Dm

Post by SpIdErPiGgY »

2 forums updated, all went good! (Full package)
phpBB NL Extension translations, also on request.
--> Click Here: Myarea51secrets.com <--
Tommy Herrmann

Post by Tommy Herrmann »

Hi,

I've just successfully installed v3.3.5 with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks very much!

I use the following extensions, all work fine with v3.3.5.

> Add User
> Board Announcements
> Contact Admin
> Lightbox
> Pages
> Recent Topics
> Stop Forum Spam
> Upcoming Birthday List

Perhaps one of the developers would like to consider that external links should be created in a new tab (_blank) by default. This is otherwise very bad and also completely unusual. The users then quickly lose the calling page from the forum.

This is also very bad here in this forum. I often switch to the German site of phpBB and then cannot find my calling site here again.

I have changed that myself in my forum from the beginning on.
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

updated 3 boards perfectly fine and all styles updated
Tommy Herrmann wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:54 am Perhaps one of the developers would like to consider that external links should be created in a new tab (_blank) by default. This is otherwise very bad and also completely unusual. The users then quickly lose the calling page from the forum.
try this extension https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/
Tommy Herrmann

Post by Tommy Herrmann »

Thank you :)
david63

Post by david63 »

Tommy Herrmann wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:54 am Perhaps one of the developers would like to consider that external links should be created in a new tab (_blank) by default.
It has been a W3C recommended "best practice" that external links should, in most cases, open in the same tab for quite a number of years.

Users should make use of the facilities available to them, such as clicking the middle button on the mouse, when opening a new page.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Agreed, three button mice with the ability to right click and choose have been around forever, I don’t understand why people won’t utilise what’s already there. The other option is install one of the extension designed for that purpose.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Tommy Herrmann

Post by Tommy Herrmann »

Well - I didn't know that this was the general opinion about this for this forum.

I myself changed that in the "bbcode.html" file right away at the first day of my forum, because all of the users in my forums didn't feel comfortable with the links leaving the forum.

I don't even know that from other forums - the external links are "_blank" everywhere else - also on most homepages.

... and of course I know how to handle a browser but most users are not surfing like that.

But thanks anyway for your clarification.
richxrich
Name: Rich

Post by richxrich »

Just read the release notes and glad to see improvements with 3.3.5.

I have a quick question with 'Hardening - Disallow easily overlooked whitespace characters in usernames'.

My forum currently allows our members to have the whitespace character in their usernames. If we update to version 3.3.5, will they encounter errors at login or will those members be grandfathered in from 3.3.4 and before? If it's no longer allowed, will I have to go in and fix all the usernames by removing the whitespace character?

Thanks.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

richxrich wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:16 am My forum currently allows our members to have the whitespace character in their usernames. If we update to version 3.3.5, will they encounter errors at login ...
No... the check is used for registering, changing names or posting anonymously with a username.

The word space character (the one you get when you press the space bar) is okay.

Here is the related PR:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/commit/f ... ec6df5021d

Here is the new regex tester:
https://regex101.com/r/reNgKE/1

Here is a list of Whitespace chars to use for test
https://qwerty.dev/whitespace/
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
MJKlein
Name: MJ Klein

Post by MJKlein »

Cpanel emailed me about the update. I used the Softaculous updater (with full backup). After the update I went to the link per instructions and updated the database. Then I reinstalled my themes from the backup. Deleted the /install directory via FTP. Update worked perfectly.

1 down, 2 more to go.
MJ Klein
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
English/中文

Return to “phpBB Discussion”