Where to file bug reports?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Stokestack

Where to file bug reports?

Post by Stokestack »

Hi all.

I was trying to post something on a forum powered by phpBB (https://forum.transmissionbt.com/index.php ) and found a couple of problems. I wasn't able to determine which version they're using, but I encountered the following:

1. The attachments pane that's presented when composing a post doesn't say what the size limit is for attachments, nor does the error message that it presents after you upload one. So attaching stuff is a tedious trial-&-error process.

2. If the attachments quota for the forum has been reached, attachment functionality is still enabled. This wastes users' time as they navigate to files and upload them, instead of simply displaying a message saying that attachments are disabled (and why).
Last edited by thecoalman on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB discussion.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Where to file bug reports?

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Stokestack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 am I wasn't able to determine which version they're using
Stokestack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 am 1. The attachments pane that's presented when composing a post doesn't say what the size limit is for attachments, nor does the error message that it presents after you upload one. So attaching stuff is a tedious trial-&-error process.
If the Maximum file size has been set in ACP then the Maximum filesize per attachment is shown prior to upload any file. Tested on 3.3.5.
Otherwise nope, that's by design and not a bug.
2021-10-09 06_43_19-3.3.5 Vanilla - Edit post — Mozilla Firefox.png
2021-10-09 06_43_19-3.3.5 Vanilla - Edit post — Mozilla Firefox.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
Stokestack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 am If the attachments quota for the forum has been reached, attachment functionality is still enabled. This wastes users' time as they navigate to files and upload them, instead of simply displaying a message saying that attachments are disabled (and why).
That's also by design, no need to file a bug since has been already discussed.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

3Di wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:45 am
Stokestack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 am If the attachments quota for the forum has been reached, attachment functionality is still enabled.
That's also by design
The most obvious reason is: attachments can also be deleted again, which can also happen while someone else wants to upload. You can post as idea (feature request) a behaviour that is more sophisticated: a setting with which the board automatically disallows uploading attachment once a quota has been reached, and another setting with which the board automatically allows uploading attachment once one has been deleted.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
david63

Post by david63 »

AmigoJack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:49 am a setting with which the board automatically disallows uploading attachment once a quota has been reached
It would not be quite that simple as you would have to cater for the situation where the quota has not been reached but the uploading of an attachment is larger than the space available.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

AmigoJack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:49 am
3Di wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:45 amThat's also by design
The most obvious reason is: attachments can also be deleted again, which can also happen while someone else wants to upload. You can post as idea (feature request) a behaviour that is more sophisticated: a setting with which the board automatically disallows uploading attachment once a quota has been reached, and another setting with which the board automatically allows uploading attachment once one has been deleted.
As I said, has been discussed already while fixing some bit in phpBB 3.3.4
PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/6141

I do not think a new Idea will change something, as you can see.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Stokestack

Post by Stokestack »

Thanks for the replies. Apparently the aforementioned site is not behaving as expected. This is the sequence that occurs; note the lack of any size limit being mentioned, despite the fact that there's obviously one in place:
noSizeMentioned.png
You can post as idea (feature request) a behaviour that is more sophisticated: a setting with which the board automatically disallows uploading attachment once a quota has been reached, and another setting with which the board automatically allows uploading attachment once one has been deleted.
Doesn't the first one already happen? How else does the software disallow uploading based on a quota? As for the second, isn't that obvious? Why would a quota-based upload prohibition stay in effect if the media that were uploaded to meet it were deleted? That's like disabling a user's E-mail account for hitting its quota and then keeping it disabled even after he deletes all old messages.

And this still doesn't explain why users aren't informed that uploading is disabled at any given point in time. This information is seriously being withheld on the chance that a user will just happen to delete something and free up some space while another one is in the process of composing a message? And if the user tries to upload something that exceeds the site quota, then... you tell him that. It seems that the reasoning being applied here wastes users' time vastly more often than it saves it... if it indeed ever saves it.

Oh, one more time-waster I've encountered in some forums, this one included: The attachments pane doesn't say what kinds of files are allowed. Want to attach a .mov file of a screen grab? Nope.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Stokestack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:07 pm Apparently the aforementioned site is not behaving as expected. This is the sequence that occurs; note the lack of any size limit being mentioned, despite the fact that there's obviously one in place
AFAIR the filesize limit display has been introduced after phpBB 3.3.1
3Di wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:45 am
Stokestack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 am I wasn't able to determine which version they're using
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Stokestack wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:07 pm Doesn't the first one already happen? How else does the software disallow uploading based on a quota?
There is a global setting in the ACP for max space allowed for all attachments. You would use this to insure you don't have some idiot uploading 1000's of files blowing through your available hosting space. You can use a very generous setting but below your available hosted disk quota. Uploads would still be allowed since there will inevitably always be some space left but you could disable uploads when the allocated space drops below the max file size. A warning in the ACP for the admin when they were getting within 10% of the max space would be nice.

However, the error you are getting is based on the size of the file. Images are a special case. If the admin has set max dimensions on images and the user has JS enabled they are resized client side based on max dimension setting. In this case the file size on your computer is not going to be the same as uploaded file. As long as the forum admin has set a reasonable max file size to accommodate the resized images there is effectively no max file size. Listing a max file size would only be applicable if the max dimension setting was disabled or the user has JS disabled.

With your specific case .png uses a lossless compression and the file sizes are bigger than what would be expected for .jpg. Assuming they are using max dimension setting you could ask the forum owner to increase the max file size for images to help insure .png's are not rejected -OR- they could reduce the max dimensions to lower the file sizes.

As for listing what extensions are allowed and the file size it's a good idea and something I have personally wished was included for ages. Note that max file sizes can be set for different types of files. How you would handle images is problematic.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Add the list of allowed files in the attachment tab: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/6306
Stokestack

Post by Stokestack »

Thanks for the replies.

I don't really know why they'd need to set limits on image dimensions, since an image can be resized on the Web page. Other forums I use let you upload images much larger than the page is likely to be, and then scale them down on the page but show them full-size if you click on them.

Nice job on the file list, though!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

phpBB will scale the image to fit if it exceeds available space but in most cases a site is using thumbs. The behavior of full size image depends on the browser but most if not all scale to fit the available space.

The reason to reduce is a monitors resolution is only going to be 1920*1080 at most unless it's 4K. It can only effectively display an image that large. Most images on cameras on much larger than that. There is no sense delivering an image to the browser that has no benefit to the user. On top of that .jpg images have a compression scale and it's always set at max on cameras which produce very large files. This can be reduced quite bit with little impact on the quality of the image. With a .png there is no scale because it's lossless and produce even larger files to comparable sized .jpg. Even with 4K much smaller images scaled up are "good enough" for the web.

There may be special cases where high resolution/quality images are preferred like a photography forum or minute detail is desirable like an electronics repair forum but other than that you are just wasting server disk space, server bandwidth and the users bandwidth.

In any event this is entirely up to the owner of the forum.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”