What Latest Recommendations For Spamproof Setup?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
abrogard
Name: arthur brogard

What Latest Recommendations For Spamproof Setup?

Post by abrogard »

I'm having another go at getting one of my boards working.

Just updated from 3.3.3. to 3.3.5.

If never did anything but before the update I had to wipe out over 500 user accounts that never made any posts and that never asked me if they could be accounts.

I thought i had it all set up so's no one could have an account without asking me first. Looks like I'm still not awake to how to properly set up a board to avoid this kind of spam.

I just looked around and I don't see a thread or category or anything for it but is there a thread or page or something where the latest advice for setting up a 'spam and hacker proof' board is?

Or failing that would someone suggest what steps I should take?

the board in question is ozstudentforum.com if that's any help in advising me at all... it always seems to be these russians, doesn't it....
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: What Latest Recommendations For Spamproof Setup?

Post by warmweer »

The easiest (and perhaps most effective) method of keeping the majority of spammers out of your board is the Q&A.
see: How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Your current question looks good (although I would choose a longer word for the upper case letter part and mix it up a bit so it's not every other letter). I would also capitalise the word they have to add just to make it clearer.

Bots should not be able to break that. Check that the accounts you're seeing didn't register before you set the question.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
abrogard
Name: arthur brogard

Post by abrogard »

Okay, thanks.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”