What is the Future of phpBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
dbrewood
Name: Daron Brewood

Re: What is the Future of phpBB?

Post by dbrewood »

Just my few thoughts. I've been running forums for 20+ years, phpBB, Invision, and a few other forum suites. I stopped running them about 4 years ago when costs for hosting grew too high versus the income for supporting them and users on site declined.

I retired 2 years ago and missed contact with friends from the 'good old forum days', and as I now had a NAS I looked to host a forum on it. I've ended up running a small forum with around 20 members (yeah not a lot), and of course running phpBB. Everybody who uses the forum loves it. Okay some parts feel a bit old school (editor etc), but we can actually find articles and posts we want to reference (which you can't of Facebook, Teams, or Slack) and it is a wonderfully relaxing environment to use.

So I for one support phpBB going forward, I'm not a developer, and have little free funds but I love phpBB and hope it stays around for a long time either in version 3 or version 4 incarnation.
david63

Post by david63 »

Marshalrusty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:24 am I have said before that I, personally, welcome folks to PM me directly if there is a specific matter that requires attention
I would take issue with that comment. I have, over the years, PM'd you on more than one occasion and am still awaiting a reply.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

david63 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:09 am
Marshalrusty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:24 am I have said before that I, personally, welcome folks to PM me directly if there is a specific matter that requires attention
I would take issue with that comment. I have, over the years, PM'd you on more than one occasion and am still awaiting a reply.
It has certainly never been my intention to ignore you. I looked through the last few pages of my PMs and didn't find one from you, but will look harder tomorrow when not on my phone. However the offer to get in touch is quite sincere, and if you asked a question and I neglect to reply, it is an unintentional oversight, possibly prompted by considering the response for a bit too long and getting pulled away by something. In this case, you would be well within your rights to resend the PM with a "????".
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Marshalrusty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:24 am Furthermore, I have said before that I, personally, welcome folks to PM me directly if there is a specific matter that requires attention and you believe is being overlooked. You know this is the case, because you have done so, and I have always responded to you.
I do not remember having PMed you here.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

3Di wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:35 am
Marshalrusty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:24 am Furthermore, I have said before that I, personally, welcome folks to PM me directly if there is a specific matter that requires attention and you believe is being overlooked. You know this is the case, because you have done so, and I have always responded to you.
I do not remember having PMed you here.
Wait, are we not currently speaking, and have we not on many occasions spoken, via Discord? In that case, someone is impersonating you. Or are you taking issue with PMs here vs. PMs on Discord? In which case, what's the difference? Use whichever method you prefer.

3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

I just never sent you PMs on this site.
We only spoke in private on Discord... that's a DM, not PM. :)
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Oh, forgot to say... I will be more than glad to reply point to point to your post very soon. Hoping it will be approved, ofcourse. 8-)
david63

Post by david63 »

Marshalrusty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:28 am I looked through the last few pages of my PMs and didn't find one from you
Try 16th November 2020 - I can forward it if you wish
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

david63 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:12 am
Marshalrusty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:28 am I looked through the last few pages of my PMs and didn't find one from you
Try 16th November 2020 - I can forward it if you wish
I found it, and you raised excellent points there. You can expect a reply!

Edit: Replied.

GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

Modern people seem to want more of a social site than a forum,

Classic people like a forum to be a forum,

Trying to cater for both isn't going to work, a few official extensions for a like button would be enough for a lot of people,

Modern people want sticky navbars and slimmed down sites for mobiles,

Classic people like it how is and would like a more up to date look but the simpleness to be retained

Striking a balance between the two may be difficult and when the phpBB witches to something modern and vastly different there may be a lot of people who refuse to upgrade, especially if the extensions they use don't get released for the new version,

Anyone who is experienced at running a forum will know that something as simple as changin a button colour can lead to members being disgruntled so when those users log onto a forum which is dramatically different to how it was last night I suspect administrators across the globe will be getting a bit of a headache hehe
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

The big problem with phpBB forums is that these forums have been supplanted by social networks, mainly Facebook.

The reason, young people like responsiveness, notifications of responses directly to their mobiles, which phpBB does not offer.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

ssl wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:00 am The big problem with phpBB forums is that these forums have been supplanted by social networks, mainly Facebook.

The reason, young people like responsiveness, notifications of responses directly to their mobiles, which phpBB does not offer.
Such systems are useful (and I'm 59 years young) but I decided to go back to using a forum as you have proper threading and can easily search for posts / data etc.

I agreed though that notifications would be very usefuil.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

dbrewood wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:28 am I agreed though that notifications would be very usefuil.
Which notification types do you need/want?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

For me notifications for subscribed threads and messages, using a Chromium based browser on Apple Mac and iPhone :)
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

If I may, let's try to stay on the main topic. That if you re-read it you will see that we are slightly deviating from that here... which will definitely lead to an off-topic discussion in my opinion.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”